Inductions waiting lists .....purge

@woodtechs @admins @directors
We need to keep the waiting lists updated.

Currently we have 63 waiting for the wood workshop foundation.

Does this look bad on us , and is this putting off new members joining?

I think so.

Of the 63,
16 do not have “member’ listed by their name,
Can the admins or directors confirm this is the case and remove them.
That leaves 47
@CriticalTolerance there are names on the list that you inducted last weekend.
Can you check and remove please.
If it is all of the attendees tats another 9 gone.

38 left.

@AndyPaine,
@joeatkin2
@Robert_Kiggins
@Barnaby_Coote
Could you check back and see if there are any in the list you have inducted that are still there.

If there are 10 we have missed, that will leave 28.

Out of the top 20 normally only 2-3 sign up.

So I suggest that if we can get the list down to less than half of what is there., we open up the next induction to first come first served.

Then clear and restart the list

Maybe worth checking for innactives on the large waiting list also.

Thoughts and actions please!

7 Likes

Will do this when I get home: I can also confirm that last week I checked the top twenty and found eight I think who had not posted in six months. I can also confirm that of that twenty only one responded to a direct email asking if they were free.

There has to be a way to do this fairly - it’s starting to get daft.

I’m happy to run an evening induction next week to see if that can clear some of the people who can’t make weekends. It would have to be smaller though but if above calculations are correct, there aren’t actually that many people to get through.

Absolutely remove non members from the waiting list, but it might be better to check against the members system just incase it’s just that they haven’t linked discourse to their account

Equally, might be worth recording number of sessions offered on the page or something and weighting downwards for continual refusals.

Don’t people have to be listed as a member on Discourse to even add their name? It suggests a large number of people joined and have since left without getting inducted which could be concerning?

2 Likes

You are indeed right. Yes, We do have a fairly fluid turnover, hard to say why, but we always have done. Some kind of exit survey remains in my mind to understand why

I believe this is not a good idea - unfairly penalizes members who are not available often. No - shows should absolutely be removed/ moved to the bottom though.

1 Like

I agree, just coming up with a wide range of unthinkable solutions :slight_smile:

1 Like

How about making the inductions section of discourse “members only”?
Giving techs a list of departing members each month, so that induction lists can be purged?

this i think it is already - had forgotten. :slight_smile:

It is only members that can edit it I believe,
But we don’t have an automated way of removing non members from the list.

I don’t think there is a need to set a system.
If, as I suspect there are less than 30 members on the list, with most of the top 20 either not interested (I can see at least 2 members there who fit this) or do not have notifications turned on.

There is a possibility of putting the whole list up and.picking the highest 10 that can confirm attendance. And setting a deadline for replies.
This does need techs to be organised but not too difficult.

I wonder if the @lasertechs have done this exercise as their inductions have been going for a lot longer than the woodshop

That sound like a great idea @lewiss would you mind doing something similar for the 3d printer induction list?

this may be possible, but there might be a data protection issue here somewhere. would need some thought.

Have zero coding experience, so unsure how easy it’d be, but could there be a way to have the induction lists as check boxes on the membership page as opposed to wikis? You check the inductions you want, it adds you to the list on discourse. If your membership ends, the system removes you from the list on discourse. Also if you successfully attend an induction and are added to a group, it also removes you automatically.

@unknowndomain - any thoughts?

1 Like

This may only be an issue while the backlogs are getting cleared…

It may be an idea going forward. It’s rather confusing trying to navigate the induction waiting lists as a newbie. The wikis are a nightmare to edit on an iPhone. Took me a while to work it out and had to help my bro do it too! Just throwing it out there as a suggestion for the revamped membership system. Could make it less daunting for us less computer savvy members :wink:

2 Likes

Good to get the feedback!

its a bit disappointing, the wiki feature used to be a bunch more intuative on discourse, but that changed a few updates back to the mess it is now.

but i digress.

100% myself and Chris had been talking about this with @lewisss.

The idea would be that we have a list of inductions available that people can join the waitlist for, then the techs add a time and it emails the list in a round-robin fashion 20 at a time inviting them to sign up within 48 hours by clicking a link in there email.

If people don’t it goes to the next person, if they cancel it tries to reallocate to other people in the list.

Then when they complete the induction the system can assign them the permission needed to use it with tool control.

This way there is no queue jumping, we can have an algorithm that prioritises people who have responded not available over those who ignore emails, and so on…

3 Likes

This is sort of what I was thinking out loud above, but probably not straight forward with a paper and pen system.