Induction suggestion

Having been on a few inductions now since joining and noting the perennial ‘availability/throughput’ issues we seem to have. Have we explored and/or thought about trying to use any form of media/video content to lighten the load?

Particularly where the induction involves a lot of one way information delivery. If alot of the content was available as a video it might be possible to structure inductions in a format along the lines of

-inductees gather at the space for induction as they do now
-inductee group is parked in front of a video giving the core messages
-induction is finished off immediately after with a shorter ‘live/interactive’ bit and possibly Q&A to check key messages landed during the video bit.

Might allow higher induction throughput if say, group A arrives watches video. Group A then gets the ‘live’ bit while group B watches the video. Group B has their live bit on the back of the A session

There may even be some general tool primer/instruction videos floating around YouTube already that the appropriate tech could assess as fit for purpose…

Another advantage is if there is ever a period without / between techs as they come and go or even a long lull in demand for a tool, that bit of the induction can sit on the shelf until needed

Thoughts?

2 Likes

Yes, is the short answer: it’s a very good idea, and invaluable to have a ‘quick refresher’ if you haven’t used a machine for a while

@fincheee and maybe @video group did some filming a while back, so some content exists

Some things to bear in mind:

• it takes a fair amount of time to prepare quality content
  • content is not easy to update (tools change or are moved around, risks are spotted, teaching approach changes, etc)

However: starting right now with the metal lathe (and coming soon to the woodshop) documentation is easy to find via QR code, so links to best practice videos would be easy (and there’s excellent content out there on YouTube and beyond)

The big task is locating and creating content…and there’s definitely members who’d relish the task of trawling online tool videos…

Ok, I’ll have a scratch around and see what exists and/or I can find, chat to at least one tech willing to possibly guinea-pig their tool and ponder what might fit, probably focussed initially on things I have been inducted on myself as a trial (doing this rapidly is probably not promised)

I guess the trick will be trying to make it tool focussed but not ‘location of tool in the space’ specific.

e.g. picture ‘CO2 fire extinguisher in the middle of the floor’
Voiceover “before starting you must ensure there is a CO2 extinguisher in good working order located near your work area”

Rather than:
picture ‘CO2 fire extinguisher in situ next to where the tool currently is in the space’
Voiceover “before starting you must ensure the CO2 extinguisher for the xxx tool is here”

and/or

“The yyy hand tool looks like this and is used safely (demo)” Rather than “The yyy tools are kept here and…” type thing

I expect informative and dull safety video is where the style will probably want to land…

2 Likes