Inclusion and diversity at Makerspace

Think new people are adding new stuff.
Ild welcome opinions of people we haven’t heard from yet.
I thought people replying over and over was the circular bit.
Could be wrong.

(This post is very circular)

I was really trying to say maybe we should look at finding some solutions we could implement.

Circular post

2 Likes

Yes.

Straight away, possibly:

• Anonymous feedback can be implemented. An online link, a physical box in the space, to start with.

• Making it clear that we encourage members to raise concerns as they arise. A message to the directors is the current best route.

To discuss/plan:

• other points of contact (a female seems the obvious one to me).

• outreach events or programs.

• other?

EDIT: formalise a process for moving forward with raised issues

3 Likes

Great!

Let’s add it to next month agenda and get some feedback on progress.

Is there someone that can / wants to implement an annoymous online form?

And a feedback box for the space?

If there’s no other takers I’m happy to make a box out of scrap.
Maybe a matching donations box while I’m at it.
But could be a nice project for someone if they want.

1 Like

An online form could be done with Google Forms/Spreadsheets and they already have Google Apps.

The box in the space could just be a mailbox outside as we occasionally get mail for the directors, would solve both issues in on box.

I’m happy to be a point of contact for anyone who wants to raise issues with someone who isn’t a director. I could pass feedback or suggestions on anonymously.

5 Likes

We want to be inclusive but letting Boris join is one step to far .

H&S and that sort of thing

2 Likes

I think this all sounds great, I’m pretty certain we discussed this as actionable solutions at the meeting.

I wanted to add, Stefano mentioned creating some kind of questionnaire or poll online to determine if members believed there was an issue surounding inclusion at the space.

It also seems great to have a point of contact to discuss issues with, although if your personality doesn’t feel comfortable approaching people with issues you are having at the space maybe a box in the space that allows you to describe your experience at the space that day or leave feedback, comment or complain about an issue. The person could have the option of leaving their details if they wanted to be contacted to have this followed up.

2 Likes

Hey @helenemartin13
I tried reading all the post but it was long, so I went to the first post which was from you.

It looks like no one asked you, and I couldn’t find if you said, how from your experience is SLMS is biased towards
a male based audience?

You mention sewing as being exclusively associated with the feminine ? Do you think there is a lack of men involved in the sewing or textiles? Do you think people at the space have exclusively associated sewing with women?

Do you think there is a lack of older people involved in the space in general?

How do you think SLMS is catering to a limited segment of society or possibly not wanting people to work in the space?

I think we have an over sixteen age limit in the space??

From my own point of view,
I think we should have a female trustee or two again (we already had one I think).
I didn’t realise there was groups within SLMS let alone groups who weren’t talking,
am I in one?

thanks

1 Like

Its 18 for legal reasons.

Where did the old boys club come from?

Feed back box has been made.
Thanks to @Peds for engraving the box.

4 Likes

As an outsider looking in:- This is an utterly sterile debate.

If people are of the mindset that they want to make things, they will seek you out regardless of their gender, ethnicity or perceived social class.

If they don’t, they won’t.

End of.

2 Likes

The world is very simple place if you benefit from all the privileges and have never wodered how life might be different for those who don’t.

6 Likes

I disagree with pretty much every bit of that; trivially ‘sterile’ is not the characterisation I get from this thread.

But here’s the point. You’re not looking in. This isn’t a Makerspace. This is a forum.

2 Likes

I thought I understood the premise of privilege for a long time, but it wasn’t until someone told me a story something like this that I really understood it:

Two people walk into a shop, they’re both the same gender, both wearing the same clothes, at the same, time, in the same store, with the same security guard.

• The first person walks in, looks around, picks their items, purchases them, and leaves.

• The second person walks in, and while they’re looking around they notice the security guard is following them, the clerk has their eyes on them too. They purchase the items and leave.

The person who told me this story was a black woman, who said if every time you went to a store you felt like a criminal, as you are watched and followed round the store, you’d feel uncomfortable about even entering a simple store.

The point is that the first person didn’t notice there was an issue, because they were treated like everyone else, however the second person was singled out based on racial stereotype to be more suspicious than the others, and when that happens to you every day you can understandably see why people might feel unwelcome in certain places.

This is just a small example of a much wider range of issues which don’t necessarily positively benefit someone who is privileged, but negatively affect others. Makerspace is no different to this store, it has to be a safe place where people aren’t treated like that, but also we have to overcome the societal affects on certain people.

6 Likes

Perhaps a better example because it comes from my own experience:

Despite how tolerant people are these days towards same-sex relationships, most same-sex couples I know will not hold hands, or show public displays of affection such as a kiss in public unless they feel very sure the area, and the people around them are safe.

I was in a major terminus train station with police and staff everywhere, I went to kiss my date goodnight but he was uncomfortable, despite numerous other couples having done the same thing, we had to find somewhere quiet and out of sight just for a simple kiss goodbye.

In this case heterosexual couples enjoy the privilege of being able to kiss their partner without fear of a verbal or physical hate crime being committed against them.

7 Likes

Where was this new thread for a time to talk event? Couldn’t find it :slight_smile:

Hi Kai,

It’s here:

We should look at what this needs.