Https://www.theguardian.com/business/2022/nov/08/the-trend-to-mend-how-repair-shops-are-leading-a-fixing-revolution

Star of the show @dermot!

:clap::clap::clap:

15 Likes

Wow! Very cool @Dermot!

1 Like

Great stuff @Dermot :slight_smile:

1 Like

Awesome, @Dermot!

This was a brilliant boost for the Fixing Factory project, and community led repair in general

I believe the tide is finally turning – although manufacturers don’t believe the small stuff we’re fixing will ever be supported by spares/schematics etc. we’re going to keep the conversation moving in that direction

I spoke to an executive from a major manufacturer who told me they’re abandoning security screws (I’m ambivalent as I have all nearly the security bits already), and might move towards spares for high end small appliances (an expensive coffee maker for example)…this is all progress. He was skeptical about 3d printing spare parts mainly for safety reasons, but I reckon that’s an area to put some development effort into…we know CAD files exist, we know most parts aren’t safety critical, we also know you can 3d print many things beyond the spec of injection moulded parts…but that’s all work for someone more skilled than me…

2 Likes

What’s the incidence of mechanical faliure vs electrical one?

Nice job @Dermot they always quote security concerns. Mostly unfounded. If you look at people lobbying against right to repair in the US, they do not have any leg to stand on.

Most stuff that is purposefully made unrepairable for “safety” or “security” concerns have other safety issues.

2 Likes

Well, depends, some worrying are related to certification, which is expensive and time consuming, also, legal responsibility.

1 Like

They’re going for safety concerns (which I do get: but if someone mods it afterwards I’m not sure they’re liable just because they shared a CAD file)

The tech firms arguments about not sharing software and specs due to security risks have been nicely debunked as you suggest

After my rage-inducing attempt to replace the bearings in my broken washing machine, I bought a slightly better one in the hopes that the bearings would be more heavy duty and would last longer. Reader, they did not. Bosch are just as guilty as the cheaper brands and it’s the same story with the whole drum&tank needing replacement for not much less than the cost of a new machine. Why bother when I know I’ll be forking out again in another 4 years and just creating more waste?

So for washer no.3 in 10 years, I have bought an Ebac. Made in Britain (they’ve been making dehumidifiers for decades) and designed to be repaired. 7 year warranty. A bit more pricey, but I’l be able to repair it myself (in 7+ years’ time anyway!)

https://www.ebac.com/washing-machines/reliability-guaranteed

8 Likes

This is useful to know, not heard of Ebac before