How do people hear like to buy their bulk fibre board materials?

Hello,

Still new (not yet a member). For some nascent laser cuts, is it more or less fine to go to my local timberyard and ask them to cut their standard 3mm hardboard into 406mm by 726mm pieces (giving me 9 speedy 300 bed sized-ish bits from my big bit for £13ish)? Are all hardboards / HDF born equal or is there some secret premium grade?

Many thanks for guidance!

Hi,
depends if there’s been some extra material added into it like resin or glue.
Then you need to know what the material is and check if it’s safe to cut as it could whilst cutting release substances that can damage people or the machine.

1 Like

Hey Petra - thanks for the reply. I’ve looked at my HDF bits spec sheet and the trotec’s and it looks ok to my eyes. I understand some fibreboards are coated in a thin film of linseed oil and sold as ‘tempered hardboard’ - not sure about whether thats ok or not but will stick to standard in the immediate future.

I’ve found that (for example) Kitronik’s ‘laser grade’ MDF cuts considerably better than some B&Q MDF I’ve tried.

For the few quid more it costs, I generally go with stuff that’s guaranteed to cut properly.

1 Like