Hi, my names Depak and I like to build stuff

I am a huge DIY fan. Everything and anything that can be built instead of being bought, I will try and build. Working on a few bits and bobs around the house at the moment, like:

1. Custom sliding shelves for airing cupboard
  2. Retro gaming Joystick
  3. Tree house the little one
  4. 3D wall art
  5. Childrens desk and chair

I am totally self taught with carpentry, plumbing and electrical work although, my dad did teach a lot though. So yes, Ilike to try things out.

I want to join, but have some questions:

1. There is a monthly fee. does that cover everything? Use of all tools, etc? Am I bound to a contract of any sort?
  2. Are inductions to the MakerSpace on any other days? I am unable to make the open day on Wednesdays as I am always taking care of my little one.
  3. If I am not trained to use a machine, would it be OK for me to ask another member to help me with that? (this one might be a silly question)

Looking forward to working with like minded individuals!

Many thanks

Depak

Hi Depak,

Brief answers:

1. £20pcm - covers full access to space and tools (once inducted on various tools)
  2. Wednesday’s is the only organised open evening, but I’m sure we can arrange a time for you to nose about when someone else is in the space.
  3. That’s fine - there’s generally people knocking about who are more than happy to help with using various machines, but to use them unaided you need to be inducted. Inductions are picking up a bit, so shouldn’t be too long for you to be inducted on a few of the machines. Personally I’ve been a member for about 6 months and I’m now woodshop inducted (can use most hand tools and some power tools), laser cutter inducted and recently lathe inducted. So quite a few strings to the bow in a relatively short space of time. Well worth it for £20 a month.

If you want to speak to someone at the space and have a particular time in mind, post something on here asking if someone is about to speak to you and show you around and you’ll likely get an answer pretty quickly.

Hope that helps?

HI Dale,

Thanks for the super quick response!

It’s pretty much a no-brainer for me. I have no space and not enough money to buy all the toys I want. Have a space like this, surrounded by your peers makes building that much more interesting. So I will move ahead with the induction.

Who should I contact about an induction into the space? So I can get my key fob?

Many thanks

Depak

Best thing to do is sign up as a member on the main SLMS site, then drop by one evening, generally after 7pm and grab a fob from someone. Once your first DD payment has been made, message the directors and they’ll activate your fob and you’re in!

HI Dale,

Once again, thanks for the speedy response, I’ll get the DD setup then.

Many thanks

Depak

Slight correction on what Dale was saying, you can pick your fob and activate it (whoever will give it to you will tell you how) at any point, and when your payment goes through it will automatically start working!

Important advice, use the same email address for all your accounts (discourse, membership system and direct debit) otherwise the system could not recognize your fob!

And to answer to another of your question, no , no contract, you are free to come and go as you like, you can cancel your membership even after the first month! (I’m sure you won’t, this place can really hook you up!!)

1 Like

This place sounds too good to be true! LOL

Just want to thank you all to the information. It has answered all my
questions.

But now I have ideas I need to get moving on with. Who would I speak with
about the lazer cutter? More specifically which application to use to
prepare the design?

Illustrator/inskape
When you will attend the induction the @lasertechs will tell you all you need to know about the requirements of the design!

Hi Depak, and welcome!

Just one addition to this: we’re a volunteer built and run organisation, so one useful way of describing the monthly contribution is ‘£20 + some time’. The idea is that if all members put in a small amount of time each month - in whatever capacity that might be - then the Space will run without too much work falling to just a few members. This is anything from doing some extra cleaning/clearing up, hosting members evenings, helping out with tool inductions or at events, or whatever you can think of that needs doing…

I look forward to seeing you in the space.

Best,

Dermot

1 Like

Hi Dermot, I noticed that in another thread in Discourse. Where hosters
were needed. I am more than happy to help out when I am there. I like
learning new skills and happy to share!

1 Like

This is not neccesary any more :slight_smile: