Hi - Jo, new here

Hi all,
It seems I made it through the waiting list - amazing! I am keen to join inductions and other activities, my current projects are around papercutting, so the Laser Cutter is too of my interest list right now! Hope to see you soon.

5 Likes

Hi Jo. Welcome!

Once your member profile on discourse has been updated you will be able to see the induction waiting lists here: https://discourse.southlondonmakerspace.org/c/admin/induction-waiting-lists

We have other members who laser cut paper, including @Kuniko

See you in the space

Brendon

1 Like

Hi Brendon, thanks for this - very interested to see what @kuniko is doing. The waiting list for the induction doesn’t seem to work for me (see screenshot). Any idea how I can put my name down?

Hi. Your discourse membership hasn’t yet been upgraded to give you access to member-only pages.
Should happen soon!

1 Like

Hi buddy! Welcome! What kind of paper cut stuff have you done?

1 Like

I am just getting started and have worked on cuts based on maps, with multiple layers, here is an example animation - but you have to look at it on a desktop (it will only show one side on mobile: https://www.flipsnack.com/5AA8DC5569B/lg-flipcard.html and disregard the first page.

Wow that is awesome! I have been thinking about doing some map things but doing it on paper looks better! If love to meet up… When do you go to the space

That would be great. I can make it this coming Mon-Wed anytime after 4pm but since I have no key/fob yet I would only go if I know someone is there - so let me know if you are around and I can try to make it then?

I’m meeting a mushroom-loving new guy in the space at 7, want to join in at that time? It’d be good to meet you both!

I have a fob and shutter access so we are guaranteed a spot :slight_smile:

7 sounds good - but what day…am…pm? 7am today won’t work for me sadly, let me know the next time you are there

Getting there… Here is the latest iteration of my lasercut, layered maps

still needs a lot of work!

7 Likes

Nice! Some good progress!!

o wow… that looks great! Show us a pic of them overlaid properly!

1 Like

Give me another… Erm…4 months :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Well, I thought I was joking about needing another 4 months, but I wasn’t far off… Anyway - here is a version of my layered, lasercut maps. I would call it v0.4…
Quite happy with the progress, the learning, but plenty of things to do still…
Thanks for all the help!

(Not ready for sharing outside Makerspace)
7 Likes

that’s badass man! Looking so cool! Is the process down pat to where you can do that for another geography with little effort yet?

1 Like

Hi Jo, this is Zack. Would be really helpful to find out more about this. Thanks!

Yes, that’s all sorted - the tricky thing is to get all the parameter right, like how do you want separate buildings to merge into one polygon at what scale etc… Or do you want small rivers to be widened for the sake of including them in a cuttable map, or how small do you allow polygons to become…but yes, I can pretty easily now do a map of any location like this

@techfolderkites yes of course, I’ll be in frequently over the next days and weeks and happy to share what I have done, although it will probably be unusable without some serious setup, explanation and documentation…:wink:

When are you next in the space? I’d love to talk to you about doing something like this!