Hi, I'm Steve. I want to make something that helps people recycle (as well as other things)!

Hi all! I’m Steve, from Australia originally but now 2.5 years into living in sunny old London.

By day I work as a Linux sysadmin (with a bit of desktop support). By night I like to brew and drink beer, play with SBC’s and read up on open source projects.

I went to the open day last week and was thoroughly impressed with the people and the space. It is a great community of talented people and I would love to become a member!

I have a project idea that i want to get my hands dirty with but, honestly, I have found a big road block (but am determined to get through it) . I want to help people recycle correctly.

My concept is to have a simple device that someone can scan the bar-codes of items and will tell them if the material is recyclable in their specific borough. Ideally something small that would clip onto a rubbish bin, or sit discreetly on a kitchen bench. I have seen an Italian company have achieved this in app form, which is great, but it only services Italy and I think a physical device may be less intrusive on life that an app in terms of usability.

Aside from that, I would (of course) also like to give back and help others sharing what skills and talents I have. I love teaching about tech, so if anyone is interested in learning anything I know about, please let me know!

Thank you everyone for taking time to read this. Really look forward to becoming a member!

1 Like

Hi Steve,
Great project idea, I want one! Keep us up to date on any progress…
Cheers,
Mike