Hi, I'm Mel

I do a bit of everything, but at home I mostly do fibre arts (spinning wool into yarn, knitting/crochet/embroidery,etc.). I’ve semi-recently finished a year long course in model making, for props, sets and puppets for stop-motion.

I’m familiar with the common wood shop tools and have been a woodturner (not so much now, lack of a lathe at home). I’d love to learn how to metal work.

I also do a bit of arduino/electronics and 3D printing at home (ender3!). I hope to use the lasercutter at the space from time to time.

I don’t know that I’ll be at the space more than a few times a month, but if you see me, feel free to chat.

1 Like

Hi Mel

Welcome to the space. I’m sure your knowledge in fibre arts would be handy in the textile area, and it is always good to have more turners too!

I look forward to see you at the space.

1 Like

Hi Esther. I’m hoping to have a sort through of the textiles area, at the least. I’m not familiar with the machines currently there, but at least I can organize the fabrics/supplies!

3 Likes

That’d be great

@techfolderkites is the most active current textiles tech, so liaise with him

Would be great to get a few interested members in to have a good go at that corner

@peter_hellyer did we organise servicing for the sewing machines?

Hi this is Zack. I’m in today for a couple of hours

At the moment there are two projects on the table in progress and a dalek on the floor, looks like the darlek is busy making giant size embroidery tools, first non human to join us at the textile area who seem legitimately busy on a textile project

2 Likes

There is a mass of unlabeled black fabric, if it is shared use or not we should label it. Some work can be done to reclaim explicit textiles tools/area bits and remind people to plan where to store work and always leave the space as you would like to find it.

@Esther_Gladstone have we used our textiles budget this month? We should stock up everything and make sure we are up to date

I have messaged Mel about work making the area accessible again from this Monday

The huge bag of blackout drapes in the snug is awaiting a plan - possibly being donated to Station Hall for their movie nights

Hi all,

Sorry about the silence. I’ve had a few things pop up and got a bit busy. I’ll work with @techfolderkites for textiles. I hope to see some of you at the member’s meeting Tuesday. I won’t mess with the textiles section until I know more. :slight_smile:

Mel

1 Like