Hi I'm Kevin - looking to film a short clip for a kickstarter?

Hi All,

I’m getting ready to launch a kickstarter in a couple of weeks for a geek toy that has a diy laser cut component.

I want to film a model taking some cut plywood out of a laser cutter in a maker space.

Is that something I could do here? I’m not actually local (the model and film guy are) so I wouldn’t be looking to sign up, but I’d be happy to put a donation into the coffers? and I’d also feature/credit the South London Makerspace in the campaign video?

In case anyone’s curious - it’s a 3D Zoetrope kit, and you can see it in action here : https://www.youtube.com/c/n0f8r1

cheers,
Kevin.

Id be happy to operate the laser cutter for this. When were you wanting to do it?

1 Like

Thank you - that’s awesome - and from a fellow Kiwi :slight_smile:

It’d be next week sometime - my buddy Charlie (also kiwi) is going to pop by this Wednesday evening to check out the external lighting - since an evening shoot would be easier to schedule I think, and I want to get a shot of her walking into the building, basically setting up the context of someone using a makerspace to make the thing.

I’ll message you Thursday to set up a time?

thanks again!

Kevin.

The external lighting is pretty poor. You’d need to bring your own, or shoot in the day time

1 Like

Particularly poor at the moment - none of the halogens are coming on.

We got to stick together mate!

Next week works best for me, as I am currrently in Dubai for work.

I live 5mins from the space so I can get there easily.

Speak to you soon.

N

2 Likes

Hey all,

Our model Anna is available early Sunday morning, Tuesday 1-3pm, and Wednesday all day.

What I was thinking is for me and Charlie to visit prior to filming with Anna, and cut two versions of the frame; put one aside with all the bits/offcuts to put back into the machine on film day (for Anna to take out again) and use the other one for a video of final assembly stages. We could also take some footage of the machine actually cutting on the first visit.

Nico has already kindly offered to operate the laser for us, but if we could get it done at the weekend that would be even better. I’ve ordered some 6mm laser ply sheets at 600x400 to arrive tomorrow.

Also can I have guidance on the format of the files needed for cutting - like the colour and thickness of the profile lines - and DXF or AI? I’d like to do some engraving as well as profiling - so is it just a different colour for the engraving portions, or a fill of some kind?

Looking forward to cutting and shooting at SouthLondonMakerSpace!!

cheers,
Kevin.