Hi I'm James, looking to do some metalworking

Hi Everyone, I’m looking forward to meeting more of you and getting to work making stuff.

I’m mostly interested in metalwork and 3D printing. My first project is a thing which fits onto fizzy wine bottle and has a sight and trigger on it to simultaneously open your fizz and shoot things with the cork.

I’ve got a prototype I made at home with hand tools, but I want to make an improved version.

Are we doing metalwork inductions? I need to use the mill and drill press and haven’t used tools like that for years

Hi James,

welcome to Makerspace.

I believe the wheels are in motion to get the metal workshop up and running. Not entirely sure where that’s at though.

In other news, once you’ve made this product can I put myself at the head of the queue?! That sounds epic and like something that would totally cheese off the better half, so for that reason, I’m in!

Thanks Dale,

You’ve identified a key function of the product. I’ve tested a couple of prototypes and I can confirm they drive my fiance nuts!

The stainless steel sheet I ordered has arrived, and provided I don’t get through it all making foul ups I should have enough spare for an extra with your name on it

1 Like

I have stuff laser cut for work occasionally, and members have piggy backed bits on my orders to avoid the minimum cut fee - is that the sort of thing you might find useful?

Yes please Rich, that’d be fantastic! When are you next having a batch done? And what format do the plans/drawings need to be in?

dxf works for me, normally, but you need to be super clean on overlapping lines, etc or the cutter software rejects it.

As and when, really. No jobs on the horizon at the moment, but I’ll post somewhere when the next lot goes in.

Fantastic, I’ve got a dxf file for it. Please do let me know when you’re next going to put an order in.

Much appreciated!

Hi James,

Welcome!

If you’re interested/experienced in metalworking then I’m sure @metaltechs will welcome your energy and input. Would be fantastic to get this area going soon – and it’s enthusiasm and drive to get projects done that drives activity in the Makerspace.

It’s been fifteen years, but I was doing a lot of metalwork at school and lathes, mills etc will come back to me. @metaltechs how can I help?

1 Like