Hi, I'm Hong

Tags: #<Tag:0x00007fa49494cbc8>

Hello ! I 'm Hong, I’m so glad to join in amazing workspace.
I’m a final year student in fine art course at Central saint martins college.
I usually make sculptural work such as installation art object and normally use wood and metal workshop. In terms of the final piece for the graduation show, the main material is metal. So, I especially need to use metal workshop as soon as possible. Additionally, I want to know there is a MIG welder as well. And also, I really want to get induction as soon as possible because the deadline is very soon. Could you please let me know how to apply for metal workshop induction?
Looking forward to hearing from you soon.
Thank you so much !
@metaltechs

Best,
Hong

Hi Hong!

What’s the date for your show? Deadlines and urgency are not Makerspace’s great strengths, as inductions etc. only happen when volunteers have time.

While we do have some equiptment it is still in the process of being setup, with risk assessments and inductions still pending, and additional work and investment needed before we can start welding.

I’m sure the metal tech’s will chime in soon, but I would imagine we are not the right place for your needs.

There are metal working facilities at Central Saint Martins that you already have access to:
http://www.arts.ac.uk/csm/about-csm/facilities/workshops/metal-model-making/

Hello! Thank you for your reply!
It’s on the 12th of May.
If someone helps me, it is perfect though, it is not my main reason which want to use makerspace. I really need a working place where has metal and wood workshop and can work without time limit.
I already know how to use most of metal tools. Could you let me know how to book metal induction?

So the restrictions on access for new members would be that you’d only have access when other members were present that had key holder status.

And no members are allowed to use tools when no other members are about, so there are still restrictions.

The welder has never been allowed to be used it belongs to two members and recently in order to look at using it @joeatkin2 installed some ducting and @Calum_Nicoll did some testing to look at the impact of using it but a lot of work needs to be done still before it can be used.

Given what needs to be done to get it to a usable stage, and the weather is improving so people will be wanting to spend more time with friends and family, I would place a pessimistic date of September before this area is really getting inductions done. This is based on having seen metal work follow a near identical path as wood working did when it first got off the ground.

So… @Langa recently worked on metal project, his experience might be useful

He got his welding done at the arch two doors down from use

Let’s hope we can learn from Woodshop and change the trajectory for metalwork…we only have 2.5 years left on our lease – Woodshop is fantastic, but it’s been painful getting there

Hong, with your experience and needs you may be able to contribute to this process