Hi I'm Gareth -> and I'm building electric longboards and want to learn do / woodworking

Hi everyone,

I’m Gareth, I live in Wimbledon with my wife and 2.5 yr old son, and I’ve joined up because I really want to start doing more with my hands… I grew up in a plastics factory so know my way around a workshop, but it’s been a long time since then :wink:
I’ve worked in IT & tech since 1999, currently work for a health & fitness marketplace as CMO, and spend far too much time banging away on a keyboard and sitting in meetings, so thought it was time to take the plunge and find a workshop I could tinker at…

So here I am!

These are the things I’m interested in:

• working on my electric longboards / skateboards
  • making a set of storage drawers for our 23 yr old Land Cruiser which we use for camping / getting away
  • learning how 3D printing works
  • making a dust proof cupboard for a server I want to put in our roof at home
  • repairing stuff at home I don’t want to throw away!
  • making a wooden knife block for the kitchen
  • making a fire pit from an (empty) gas bottle, for fires & cooking at home and when camping!
  • hacking on RaspberryPi to do cool stuff - home audio / home video / home theatre etc etc

If anyone is interested in any of the above, please shout!
If anyone has any experience with soldering, please shout as I’d love to buy you a beer for some help!
If anyone has any experience with 18650 batteries (for electric boards), please shout as I’d love to buy you a beer and pick your brains!

Best,
Gareth

1 Like

Hi Gareth!

i’ve recently built an electric longboard in the space too, i’m gonna be in there this weekend to put my new battery in, unfortunately since we don’t have a spot welder i ended up buying a pre welded one, but i might still have helpful info! if you want to check out my board and maybe have a ride let me know! i should be in either saturday or sunday afternoon.

Hi Alex,

Thanks, awesome - always keen for a ride! :wink:

I may be able to make it down late Sunday morning / early afternoon for a few hours… so will bring what I have!
I’ve got 3 in various stages of repair, two with Lipo batteries - missing riding on my commute atm!
I bought them all fairly complete and working, so am trying to get them back in shape so I can sell and consolidate into an off-road board which takes the seasons better.

Gareth

Lots of interesting ideas and things to accomplish. Met y Yesterday .

Alex are you around inn sunday at all?
Trying to make it there Sunday morning…

Welcome Gareth! I am always working on something for my '89 VW T25 campervan so definetly interested in talking Land Cruisers etc… also repairing stuff and home audio for sure! Hope to see you in the space soon!

Cheers,
Andy

Have you seen this for your Land Cruiser?

http://pin.it/vnItS99

@asander1 awesome! good to meet you :wink:

@RichM that looks really interesting, nice and compact and means we can use the Cruiser boot when not doing trips…

I built a skateboard with a friend last year, came out pretty good. Since then have had the itch to try a longboard. Good luck! Let me know how you get on.

Hi Gareth…I’ve got a really nice Globe longboard that I picked up in Rio. I’ve dreamt of converting it into an electric too. See pics I found on web. Wouldn’t mind getting together with someone on this.

Obviously you’d make your own… :grinning:

cool!
where do you want to start??
have you got the parts?
do you know how fast you want it to go? ;’-)