Hi, I'm Gabriel

Hey, my name is Gabriel, and I’m looking for some information about the Makerspace before I join (I’ve been invited via email but wanted to clear a few things up first before I became a full member).

I’m looking to make some replicas, specifically from Doctor Who (as I was delighted to see is not an unusual thing in the Makerspace!) and this would involve the use of a CNC mill to create some intricate metal parts (e.g. for sonic screwdrivers). I was wondering what the specifics are surrounding the CNC mill and also the lathe, how training works, whether I need to bring my own materials, and if I can use the machines alone eventually.

I look forward to potentially joining you!

Hi Gabriel,

Welcome to our community! If you’re available next Wednesday, you could come to our Open Evening where you’ll get a tour of the Makerspace and you’ll be able to take a closer look at the tools we got and ask people that work with them, if they’re up to spec for your needs. In the meantime, feel free to trawl through our Tools category, where you’ll find the specific details.

Several of our members are into making replicas and or models - sure somebody will be able to point you in the right direction.

Usually you’d bring your own materials to work on. There’s always the scrap pile that’s free for grabs, lots of cool projects emerge from scrap heaps, both metal and woodworking.

Both CNC and metal lathe require an induction, which means that you are being trained in a small group of people by a tech-person that makes sure you’re proficient and safe in using the machine, making sure that it stays in prestine condition for the next user etc. Every member, even a blacksmith, will have to go through the induction, that’s just the rule we got and makes things more manageble health-and-safety wise. From my personal experience, these inductions are also quite fun and as a bonus, you get to know a couple of new members.

As soon as you’re inducted on a tool, you can use it as much as you want.

Happy to answer any other questions.

See you at the Makerspace,
Mark

1 Like

Thank you Mark! That’s most helpful.

I should be able to come on Wednesday, it would be great to have a closer look.

I’ll take a look at that tools category too!

For reference, here are two things I’d like to work on that would require use of the Isel CPM!
Modelled by myself in Fusion 360.

Hi Gabriel ,:smiley: Im sure we can talk about Dr who, I mostly make monsters and evil robots, im a member of project Dalek also and recently restored a classic Dr who monster off the show at the space.

Keep well .Brian D=

1 Like