Hi I'm Alan! Engineer with limited space looking for home

Evening Guys.

I’m Alan, I live just up the road and I’ve been looking for a space for projects for a while - until now!

I look after all things data at a startup in Richmond (tails.com - we make dog food - can provide vouchers if anyone has a dog :slight_smile: ), but my background is in engineering. I’ve got a small 3d printer at home, have a selection of ongoing CAD & electronics projects and I’ve done a reasonable amount of machining (CNC and manual) in the past - when I’ve had access to space and kit.

Excited to see the space, would love to get inducted on the laser cutter (as it’s not something I’ve had access to before), happy to help with commissioning and training with any electronics gear or metal machining tools.

Alan

4 Likes

Hi Alan,

Welcome!

…do you have any experience using a metal lathe, by any chance?

Hi Alan,

Welcome to the space, i am one of the current @metaltechs and will be over the coming weeks looking for interested members to help out with our section.

As dermot asked above, do you have any experience with metal lathes and machining?

Look forward to meeting you,

Nico

@Dermot & @nico.dejong.nz, I do. To be honest, I’ve never done any real wood lathing (free hand style). All my lathe work in the past has been on a metal working lathe.

I’d get a bit out of my depth working with really hard things. I’ve done a little stainless steel machining in the past but I can’t say I’m an expert. I’ve done enough basic aluminium machining on a lathe to talk someone through the basics.

Looking at the colchester bantam you’ve got listed on the #tools page, it doesn’t look very different from what I’ve used before. The speed control looks a little foreign, and I’ve never used an auto-feed very much, but I’m sure we can work it out. :+1:

1 Like

You’d be very much welcome!

@tomnewsom the #tools board says we’ve got a pillar drill that needs commissioning. Any idea who’s currently on point with that? I might drop by to the open evening on weds to take a look at it (and see the space for the first time).

Some of that information is out of date: I believe the Ajax is commissioned. However there is a pillar drill for metalwork that @Howard brought in. I think this still needs work, Howard?

It’s been in use for some time.

I sense that you are possibly Howard in his context though?

Um…I’m guessing i was still logged in when Howard responded.