Hey! I'm Joanthan

Hey Everyone!

Looking forward to getting to make things soon. Lets see about me…

I’m a creative at heart. Started with sculpting a long while back and moved onto film making and design later on life. Lots more to know but I won’t bore you now…

Currently working with soap stone quite a bit, have my own 3D Printer and I’m really looking forward to getting to have a go on the laser engraver once I’ve done my induction…

Is anyone going to be in Monday evening cus I might pop round to just take a look?

Later

1 Like

Soap stone work sounds cool. What are you working on? Any pictures?

Well, I did a small little soapstone carving this weekend… But currently I have a whole bunch of designs i’m dying to get laser engraved…

6 Likes

Wow Nice!

Hi Beth,

Just seen that you seem to be related with the lathe…
I only quickly popped in last night but is the lathe now in place and will there be any induction to it soon?
I have experience using and teaching woodturning at summer schools.

2 Likes

https://discourse.southlondonmakerspace.org/t/wood-lathe-induction-l1-waiting-list/4838/1

1 Like

Very nice indeed!

This would make a great Sunday workshop event! Dusty though? How much of that dust gets airborne?

2 Likes

I would be more than happy to workshop it…

As for the dust what you do is work with wet soapstone. As you can see in one of two of the images there is a plastic container in the image. That’s just water that you keep dipping the stone in. When using a Dremel on the stone it gets a lot worse but you really don’t need to use anything like that… I would say it’s 3 Foot dust area around where your working.

I would be happy to bring in a stone and some tools to show?

2 Likes

+1 for a workshop in stone carving. A little bit of Dremmeling could always be done outside.

2 Likes

+1 from me too !

1 Like

You can cast bronze in soapstone moulds, you know…

Just saying!

3 Likes

+1 (again) for stone carving workshop - I love the turtle!