Hexagon musical instrument

Hello! So here is a project write up for a musical instrument I am just finishing that I have been making here and at home.

It’s a piece that I am making with City of London Sinfonia (CLS - an orchestra) and Maudsley and Bethlem hospital schools and their patients - working specifically with children and young people. I lead weekly composition workshops in these schools where we create new pieces of music in response to orchestral repertoire. This instrument is an attempt to create an instrument which allow people who are scared of music making because they feel they can’t to interact with something that doesn’t feel like a traditional instrument, as well as a way to share the music that they have made in a meaningful way while keeping the participants anonymous (which is necessary (and the law) to ensure they have the right to recover - essentially its about protecting their dignity)

The design has been made with them and we started with this cardboard prototype

on which foil capacitive sensors were placed

children then made paper overlays, which represent different sound sets

After testing in schools, we then went to start fabricating a plywood version - still with the overlays. This is the resulting 3d design

From here I laser cut the components here at SLMS

I then had much gluing to do which I had to do at home as I had my children with me

I used 2 pence pieces as sensors because I forgot to buy copper discs (they are covered in filler for the finished thing)

Inside there is a touch board (basically an arduin0 Leonardo with integrated MPR121 capacitive touch) and an RFID reader

Much filling and sanding - again at home because of children

And now it’s nearly finished! Just need to seal and wax it. I’ll get video when I’ve got one hosted somewhere (I don’t think I can host here no?). Different tops are sensed with an RFID reader and load different sound sets.

4 Likes

The instrument looks awesome, Gawain! What’s the tuning of the 12 notes, semitones? I love the geometry for thinking about the scale in multiples of 2, 3 ,6 and 12.

And it sounds like you’re doing good work with the young people, musical therapy is a wonderful thing :slight_smile:

What a fantastic project…and this wouldn’t need much more work to turn into an excellent blog – if you had time, and are happy for us to share it

Re: children. Members are welcome to bring young people along – and often do – bearing in mind safety aspects of many of our tools and workshops

Thanks @0atman. The tuning depends on which top. So far its all been sample playback, and I’ve not followed any patterns for scales, but there’s no reason why not.

Yes music is a really useful tool to help marginalised young people. So important!

1 Like

Thanks so much @Dermot - yes very happy to make it into a blog. What do you need? It’s being displayed at QEH on 16th Oct (hoping that Laser cutter fixed before then, otherwise it’ll have to be finished using a commercial space) so perhaps I’ll document the rest of the build then we can get that up!
And fab re kids! - I’ll descend with 3 mini me’s at some point then. They’ll love it!

1 Like

I made a musical instrument for music therapy as my degree project at the RCA (quite some time ago now…)

I had a ball bearing rolling round a v-shaped track that was lined with a flexible PCB. As the bearing crossed the PCB tracks it triggered notes. I wired it to a chip that Maplin used to sell to convert key presses into midi.

I think I found it! http://www.cedos.com/datasheets/E510.pdf

Would do it differently now with the availability of laser cutters, Arduino, 3D printing and the RaspberryPi!

Sounds like a great project - do you have any photos or video of it?
I’m a great believer of making things the way you can so that they work! - chip you used sounds great

Afraid not - it was twenty (cough) years ago…

I think I still have the actual thing in my dad’s loft, though. Maybe I can dig it out and take some photos!

Your secret is safe with me :smiley:

1 Like