Help needed - possible arduino project?

Hi there!

I was wondering if you could help me. As a part of my friend’s Masters degree, we want to make an art instillation that shows the carbon cost of streaming individual songs online. The idea is to have a scale onto which you place physical representations of carbon, which would then cause three displays to show weight, the file size, and length of the song and possibly number of times streamed.

We currently have an electronic green grocers scale with an RS-232 output, and a spreadsheet of all the relevant correlating data, but we need help to create the information displays. As I understand it, we’d need some kind of Arduino and/or Raspberry Pi setup to get this to work - do you know of anyone who could help us out with this project? We’d greatly appreciate some help with this project and we’re not entirely sure where to start looking!

Thanks very much for your help,
Rob

Hi Rob,

I suggest you try an RS232 adapter (anything based on the MAX232 chip) then interface the scale with a NodeMCU (arduino compatible ESP8266 wifi chip) then you can send the read values to wherever they are needed.

I might have a spare NodeMCU. The RS232 adapter might need shopping for.

Cheerio,

Daniel