Help joining planks

Hi, I want to join two oak boards together to make a desk top. Will any @woodtechs be around during the day tomorrow who could show me a good way to do that? They are already planed and square so I think I just need to cut slots for biscuits.

@peter_hellyer bought a jointing bit and biscuits but not sure if it was bought for own use or if it was bought on the workshop budget. but this would be the best way to go.

not sure on my movements yet tomorrow but will let you know later.

If the jointing bit isn’t around, there is a slotting bit for the small router which I used. You need to make a tongue for it and remember to stop short of the ends of your workpeice if they’re on show - biscuits the better option, as Mark says.

Maybe we should get a biscuit jointer. Love mine.

3 Likes

Something wrong with dowels for this job?

No not really, I just fancied trying my hand at biscuits. Dowels probably aren’t as strong but would do the job.

I’ve got a 1/2" biscuit bit and some size 20 biscuits if the one @peter_hellyer bought isn’t knocking about.

1 Like

Discussed this exact point with @lewisss - decided biscuits were the way forward. There’s zero play with dowels whereas you can cut a longer recess for biscuits giving you a little bit of play horizontally. Much more user-friendly. Plus you can actually just make one long cut along the whole length and stick as many biscuits as you want in there. Can’t do that with dowels. Have to be a lot more precise.

1 Like

That would be great. Are you around at any point and would you mind showing me how to use it? I’ve never used one before.

Yes the need for precision was making me nervous!

I’m down on Sunday doing a L2 induction 12-3…so anytime before or after? I can get down 10-11am and run through it if you want? Can run a few practice cuts with some scrap. It’s dead easy.

That would be great, thank you so much. Shall we say 10:30ish?

1 Like

Sounds great. See you there.

yes biggest advantage of a biscuit cutter is the ability to put slots in the face of a length of wood so you can have the two pieces joining at 90 degrees.

Do you mean on a mitre joint? Cutting the slot on opposing 45 degree faces? If you were butting up end-on-face, the router bit should still work, shouldn’t it?

Honest question…

No,
Think more book shelves … biscuit into the sides and then into the shelf end
This video uses rebates for adjustable shelves but for fixed shelf you could slot the shelf and have the biscuit inside.

You can use this technique for all sorts of ideas, impossible with a router,

You can also biscuit joint into the mating faces of a mitre which will add strength and help alignment

1 Like

Got you.

Was thinking more of joining to form an ‘L’ shape, as that’s possible…but yes, I see now. Completely undo-able to join further down the face of a board with a router.