Hello I'm Stacie can you help me with my project

Hello South London Maker Space Members

I am Stacie, I am a brand new member. I wondered if anyone could help me with my current project.

I graduated uni last year with a degree in graphic design. In the past year I have done internship after internship and never been able to settle because my portfolio is not of your usual graphic designer. I make mini inventions/innovations and I am really interested in integrating science into design. There are people practicing in this area and every single one of them is amazing yet what I have found is every single one of them also has a masters degree to be specific the design interactions masters from the RCA. So the logical next step for me would be to do this masters yet I am not from a background that could support this and there is a very slim chance of me gaining a scholarship so I was stuck.

My project. I am going to make my own masters, I have been in touch with several alumni from the course and persuaded them to set me briefs and tutor me through a years education completely free, I am going to make my own masters. This is why I have joined the space, to have a space to work and be around people I can learn from so I was wondering if anyone has any advice/suggestions to help me learn and further this project.

Thanks
Stacie

3 Likes

Good luck!

Speak to everyone, everyone has something to offer, even the quiet ones at the back.

And ask not what the Makerspace can do for you, but what you can do for the Makerspace.

2 Likes

I salute your determination, Stacie!
Not sure that I can offer help coming up with ideas, but I can share what skills I have, as I would with anyone at the space.
One thing I know I can do is listen to an idea, then poke holes in it :wink: But not in a mean way - just to get you thinking about your intentions, about possible other avenues to explore, etc.

Also, I have found that the best way to learn is to teach other people. I do it professionally now and I am learning more and more :wink: So whatever skills you have, share them and stuff will flow!

Hello Hanry,
Thank you I am open to all opinions and help.

I do currently teach at Kingston university once a week introducing science and technology in design and I agree 100% that doing, learning and teaching at the same time is the best way to be.

Thanks again and I would appreciate any skills you have to share.

Stacie

One of the joys of slms is that there’s always someone who knows more about something than you.

You are in the right place.

1 Like

And the “someone” is quite often you, Joe! :smile:

1 Like

LOL
Not so much :grinning:

1 Like

Too modest…