Hello, I'm Mariam :)

Hiya,

I’m mariam and I’m really excited about being at makerspace. I ran a darkroom/art society when I was at uni, now that i’ve just moved home I feel a tad bit isolated so when I heard about SL makerspace I was really keen to get involved/ meet up people who enjoy making and learn lots of new skills! I don’t have many skills at the moment (I think the last time i picked up a hammer was DT GCSE) but I’d love to share whatever I know and help out with open evenings/ running events etc.

Projects ideas that I have…
-making a batman/wonderwoman sign for the loo door possibly with the laser cutter. Also make a clock for my room decorated with laser maquetry.
-making a pop up city, when the light is on they’ll be little wind turbines spinning and when the light is off, the turbines turn off and little leds light up in the buildings.

• 3d printing a chunky bracelet that looks like minas tirith
  • making clothes, especially dresses, I wanna dress like Sansa/ padme every day lol (although I undestand we don’t currently have a dress form-but hopefully in the future!)
    -Want to improve my digital photography skills.

Most of my projects involve induction so I’ll muck around learning electronics and using easy things like sewing machine/ 3d doodler (i think makerspace has one stashed away) until I’ve been inducted in the various doodads.
Looking forward to meeting everyone and getting stuck in! :smiley:

1 Like

Welcome Mariam! We do have a spare MDF batman logo in the space at the moment, which may well be fair game for a project… I think it was left over from a project by @Jonathan.
It’s above the door between clean and messy workshops - leaning against the glass partition.

1 Like

@TomHedges, MDF it is not, we don’t run that through our laser. It is laser ply and I believe still above the door between the clean and messy room. Someone wanted it at some stage but it’s still there so it’s fair game…
Enjoy your future making Mariam!

1 Like

MDF is fine in the laser. It was only a concern when we were venting filtered exhaust into the room rather than outside.

If I’d thought about it, I would have remembered that you were using ply!

Okay, now I’m intrigued.

1 Like

Very interested, my daughter would love this! But I will not be able to make it tonight :frowning: