Hello - I'm Jack

Hi there,

I have just joined after having come down to the open evening last week and having the tour from Tym.

I am mostly a spoon carver (instagram: @onetreewoodcrafts) but am looking to do more varied aspects of woodwork such as furniture making and bowl turning.

Looking forward to meeting everyone.

Thanks

p.s. am I right in understanding that I will be able to come and collect a fob once the first DD payment has gone through (1st Nov)?

1 Like

@ welcome Jack!

you can come by and pick up a fob at any time, and we can get it linked to your account. That said, it wont actually start working until your payment has cleared :slight_smile:
Cheers

Pete

Great - thanks for the clarification

Also another question - is an induction needed for the handtools in the wood workshop? and If so, how often do these occur?

@jrnaumann 's Spoon Carving Workshop - TBA

@dsikar

:stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye: Welcome to the space!

2 Likes

Someone say spoon carving workshop!!! @Twm @TomHedges are or have just done their first spoons too!

Hi Jack, no inductions necessary for hand tools, theres a wee hand tools group , next gathering is Nov 11th.

@dsikar - would be more than happy show some people how to carve spoons
@afshind - thanks for the info, will definitely try and make the 11th

2 Likes

Yes! Sounds good :slight_smile:

Welcome @jrnaumann !

Will be posting something about my spoons when I get a chance…

I think it’s best to attend the foundation woodshop induction first. Woodtechs cover chisels, saws and low-level power tools etc. Most of it is sucking eggs for experienced woodworkers, but necessary for members to prove their competence before allowing them to use the woodshop.

That being said, the woodshop induction seems to have disappeared from the list of inductions.
@woodtechs - any ideas if the foundation inductions are still being run?

Still being run! Waiting list had ended up in wrong category…

https://discourse.southlondonmakerspace.org/t/wood-workshop-foundation-induction-waiting-list/5002

1 Like

Not sure why your link doesn’t work…

Try this…

https://discourse.southlondonmakerspace.org/t/wood-workshop-foundation-induction-waiting-list/5002?u=dermot

2 Likes

Oops! Chopped a character off the end. # Don’t Discourse when sleepy.

Thanks all - so as I understand it, I can only sign up for the wood workshop induction once the first payment goes through (tomorrow I hope) - then I will be able to add my name to bottom of the waiting list. There are 65 people on it now - does that mean essentially I can not use the space until those 65 or so people have been inducted which could be a few months (? - my guess). I’m only asking because I’m not sure I can afford to pay every month without being able to use it. I understand the space is community run thus relying on volunteers but was just wanting some clarification in this case. Many thanks

Hi Jack,

The list needs sorting as it contains members who’ve been inducted, plus some ex-members. Also we’ve found that being available gives you a good chance of getting on an induction even if you’re far down the list.

And, yes: once your payment is through you’ll be able to put your name on the waiting lists.

It looks that way, but it very much depends on your availability. Typical waiting time is much lower than it looks!

I know it shouldn’t be taken as gospel, but I was personally inducted before the 2nd payment had been taken out. The woodtechs are looking to run as many inductions as possible to get rid of the wait list, so it shouldn’t take too long to get on one.

Great - thanks that reassuring

List now edited down to 55 as I’ve removed 11 inactive – and some non-existent??? – members.