Hello, I'm Hugh!

Hi all,

It’s nice to ‘meet’ you!

I’m a musician working in community based music projects. I’m volunteering with a charity called Joy of Sound who run music improvisation sessions for people of all abilities.

I’m interested in making musical instruments which are accessible for people of all abilities. This includes adaptions to existing instruments or bespoke weird and wonderful instruments for certain people!

I have been trying to make these in my attic and I am struggling a bit which is why I am excited to join this space. I am particularly interested in using the wood workshop and being part of the luthier and electronics meetups!

Interests: Electronics and digital instruments, acoustic instrument design, inclusive design and community spaces…

Hope to meet you soon…!

Hugh

1 Like

Sounds like a really interesting project :slight_smile:
Welcome!

1 Like

I made a musical instrument for music therapy for my degree project years back.

Bought a chip from Maplin that was designed to read a keyboard and output midi values, and wired it up to a flexible PCB mounted in a turned wooden base. A ball bearing rolled round it and triggered notes off a pentatonic scale. Faster rolling made for louder notes.

Probably do it with an Arduino today…

1 Like

Hi Rich,

Sounds like a great project! Nice how it changes the velocity of the sound if you move it faster. That can be the beauty of incorporating technology - to give the user more choice and therefore more options for expressivity.

I’d love to see it if it’s still alive and working…! Or maybe we could bring it back to life with an arduino…

Sorry, I have no idea where it ended up. I know I look particularly youthful in my avatar photo but it was 20+ years ago!