Hello! I want to make spoons!

Hello there! My name is Will and I am interested in learning how to make cutlery out of wood. I am not a particularly useful or handy person, I’ve never been artistic or crafty, but I’d like to change that. Does anybody in this vibrant community have experience, or know of anyone with experience, of making wooden cutlery?

Many many thanks

Will

Hey Will - check out this video. I have no experience myself nor have I tried this but found it explains it in quite a lot of detail.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=krAIHRCx9R0

1 Like

Hi Will,

Welcome to the space…I’ve just spoon making, they do free courses at brockwell gardens community centre, they might start again in soon or spring at the latest.

I bought a gouging knife, whittling knife and axe, starter kit from Robin Wood.

I’ll be down the space on SAt 13th helping to clear out the snug, if you’re free pop down, I can fill you in what I know and if I know you’re coming bring some greenwood down for you to get you started…and the tools so you can have a go.

There’s a few others who I think have started making spoons too @Twm @TomHedges

Thank you David! I’ll watch that on my commutes tomorrow.

Thank you Afshin, what a kind reply and welcome to the community. I will definitely check out the courses at Brockwell, I live nearby so that would be ideal.

As for Saturday, what time will you be there? I’d need to be away from about 2pm but I have the morning free.

Thanks again!

Hi Will, I’ll be there from 10am ish through to late afternoon…I’ll be in the snug (right at the back of the space) or the woodshop. See you Saturday.

Hey Afshin. Thanks for showing me around today - I’ve just signed up to become a member so I’ll hopefully be around after work next week at some point.

You mentioned about the waiting list for inductions - where can I find the waiting list and add myself to it?

Cheers

Will

1 Like

Once your membership has gone through, and you’ve linked your discourse account to your membership, you’ll be able to edit the lists in #admin:induction-waiting-lists