GROUP TURNING BLANKS ORDER + First oak bowls

My first attempts at face turning. Had great fun and learned a lot…I was after the straight sides. The big one was glued to scrap piece and then sawed off.

I wanted to make them deeper but i found when the tool tip extended beyond the anchor point on the tool rest it was tricky to control…is there a technique to fix it? A curved tool rest?

Bowls are sanded down to 400/600 grit…I found get better results sanding on a lower speed…is that the best way? The end grain on the sides didn’t sand do well and are bit pitted.

They are left untreated…I may wax them later.

Big thanks to @Beth for the hands on demo and @Mouat for the many tips.

9 Likes

Is the lamp ok?

I haven’t been in yet to see it…the bowls were all done before xmas

1 Like

No problem

Awesome work for a first attempt. Looking forward to getting on the lathe a bit more now I’ve finished my other projects. Can I ask where you get the logs from? Can’t believe they’re so cheap! You couldn’t buy the bowl for that amount. I now see why @Mouat decided to make all and sundry a bowl for xmas. I know what I’m doing this year!

Toolsandtimber.co.uk great for blanks and dowels…let me know if you want to order, it’s free delivery if you buy £45+…maybe we could combine an order?

I do, but I’d only want a couple. Maybe canvass around and see if we can get enough for the free delivery?

ill add to the order…

They look beautiful! Really understated but effective. I have a nice oak blank for a candlestick, and maybe some blackthorn from home, but I need a couple of inductions first before I can use the lathe (and a fair bit of guidance after that too probably!). Does anyone know if any woodworking or lathe inductions are in the pipeline?

Send a link of what you’d like, size, quantity etc and I’ll add to order. @DAC17 too.

hi Katie, thanks!

Have you added your name to the woodworking and lathe induction lists? They live as a wiki on discourse. Although looks like there are many names ahead you’ll find if you are available at short notice you’ll be able to join an induction sooner rather than later.

Oak Bowl Blank 78mm x 102mm - £3.96
Purpleheart Bowl Blank 51mm x 127mm - £4.72

Let us know when/how you need paying. I’m in no rush for these btw.

1 Like

Hi Katie.

You can add yourself to the lathe waiting list here Wood Lathe Induction (L1) Waiting List. You’ll probably find you will get a place on an induction well before you are near top of the list. Sorry there hasn’t been much in the way of inductions over the last month or so, but hope to get some more up and running again within the next couple of weeks.

Can I jump in too? I’m just after…

• Sapele Bowl Blank 53mm x 202mm - Product Code: GS3949 £6.42
  • Purpleheart Bowl Blank 51mm x 152mm - Product Code: GS9038 £6.41

Cheers!

1 Like

Cool…just awaiting @Twm and then I’ll put the order through.

I’ll let you know this evening thanks

Can I jump on board and order a bunch of this: https://www.toolsandtimber.co.uk/mixed-oak-turning-blanks-large-pack-mixedoak-large?

1 Like

Thanks, could I perchance add the following:

1. Maple Dowels Product Code: mapledowels-9.5-500 Diameter 9.5mm (3/8”) Length 500mm £0.94
  2. Ash Spindle Blank 57mm sq x 305mm Product Code: GS3113 £3.00
  3. Mixed Oak Turning Blanks - large pack Product Code: mixedoak-large £13.51

If I’m in time, I’d like to add on a few bits, please:

1 x Lime Carving Blank 15 x 153 x 228mm
(Product Code: GS8754) - £3.76 (+ bandsaw, that’s 3 lovespoon blanks)
1 x Mixed Oak Turning Blanks - large pack (Product code: mixedoak-large) - £16.21
1 x Beech Spindle Blank 44mm x 44mm x 915mm (Product Code: GS3236) - £4.82
Total - £24.79

Let me know who I owe! Looking forward to some more turning…

1 Like