Getting going with RC522

Just got hold of a RC522 RFID Reader / Writer - trying to get it going on a RaspberryPi, but so far it seems to be having trouble reading or writing tags. The Pi can see it however, confirmed by: “spi_bcm2835 16384 0”

I’ve connected it up, and have a D1 Red LED showing when it’s attempting to write a chip, but it just won’t write. Wondering if my soldering was shoddy and i have a bad connection, or if i’ve done something else stupid.

Would anyone be up for assisting me? Might head up to the space later today to use a multi-meter to see how bad my soldering was. (shaky hands and half blind) Failing that will pop in to electronics night.

End game is to build a “Laptop Check-In/Out Kiosk” where users would scan their RFID Badge for ID, then scan an RFID tag on a laptop to say “i’m borrowing this”, and again when returning.

Any advice would be much appreciated :slight_smile:

Re-Solded and added a ton of custom spi values to my /boot/config.txt and im good to go :slight_smile:

1 Like

FWIW that’s the kind of symptoms you get when the clock line is ok but the data in/data out isn’t not, or the clock line is running too fast.

Thanks for the explanation - exactly what i was after.
Now fumbling around with code.

Will post back when / if i get things going!