Free trees for your community group - come in packs of 50, 20 or 10 saplings . will be delivered in time for planting during National Tree Week, between 23 November and 1 December 2019

The Mayor of London is working with The Conservation Volunteers to give away 25,000 trees this autumn to community groups, schools, and other organisations across the capital.

Your trees will be a mixture of UK native species specially chosen by The Conservation Volunteers to fit perfectly with London’s native plant and animal life. They come in packs of 50, 20 or 10 saplings – and they’re small, beautiful and easy to plant, making them the perfect addition to any communal green space.

Your trees will be delivered in time for planting during National Tree Week, between 23 November and 1 December 2019.

https://www.tcv.org.uk/communities/mayor-london-community-tree-packs

3 Likes

I wonder if we can incorporate 10 saplings in the Makerspace garden? Which we will likely be expanding…

How about 20 or 50 for whole estate…smaller tree species.

1 Like

That’s a nice idea – we could do a potting up session and give them out?

2 Likes

Update following green light from the members meeting.

The scheme above is now closed. However they refer you to https://www.tcv.org.uk/communities/i-dig-trees

I emailed them couple of days ago asking if its ok to plant in containers. No reply yet. I went ahead and registered us for 50 saplings from the Small Garden pack. Delivery Friday 13th March. Figuring we have hands full with arch 2 in meantime, better weather and longer days in March, time to source containers and soil.

Will update here as and when I hear back from them.

4 Likes

This is very exciting

1 Like

: )
I’m mindful that container planting may rule us out. Touch wood that wont be case! Pun intended!

2 Likes

Sounds great!

If we can’t get trees this way - but hopefully we can. we maybe able to look at doing this ourselves.

I have contacts in community gardens and woodland owners.

We could work out how to take cuttings and use these resources to “grow our own”.

I think it would be a great learning and making project

#propagation

What they are doing in Ireland:

1 Like