Focused Research/working browsing

I’ve been using this for years and recently explained it to someone and they found it really useful so maybe it will be useful for you guys too :slightly_smiling_face:

Problem
Dont’ you get tired of typing the same keyword in the search bar when you work on something or learn a new software. For example at the moment I’m learning Fusion360 but before it was Solidworks, Nodejs, Scrum, ETC …

So a lot of your google search end up a bit like this “how to use (pattern, spline) in Fusion360” or "Fusion360 import dxf ". Many variant from that I’m pretty sure you get my drift.

Would it be fantastic if you could change you default search and add those keyword for all you search and you says yes BUT now my default search always add the keyword Fusion360 when I search for takeaway around my place or whatever.

Solution
To fix this I found a workaround it involve different step and won’t affect you default browsing environment but you need to use Chrome browser.

1. You’ll need to add a person to your google chrome follow that guide.
    NOTE: I recommend you to create a new email when doing this as it get really useful when watching video from youtube within that browser instance, like this you can have a focused youtube profile benefit from reduced noise in your browsing history making it easier to find back things that you viewed in regard to a particular context and the recommedation engine will work in your favor and not include video of cat that you usually watch lol.

2. Create a customized search engine follow that guide

• copy the search string from the google default search engine
    • Edit that string to include any keyword you repeatably type in you search like so
      {google:baseURL}search?q=fusion360%20%s&{google:RLZ}{google:originalQueryForSuggestion}{google:assistedQueryStats}{google:searchFieldtrialParameter}{google:iOSSearchLanguage}{google:searchClient}{google:sourceId}{google:contextualSearchVersion}ie={inputEncoding}
    • save and set this as your default search engine
  3. FYI this is nerdy but you can use some useful operator or refinement in that search string

Ok now you can open a dedicated instance of Chrome by opening a new window and selecting that person and when you search from the address bar your search will always contains those keyword, added bonus as explained above youtube and this apply for reddit instagram etc …

Conclusion
I know this is really nerdy and maybe not useful to you or find it to cumbersome and prefer doing it the other way around. For me it’s extremely useful, I run multiple instance of chrome they have different theme, default search, extension or even some running customized grease monkey script. I never seen it explained online so here is one of my gold nuggets

Have a great day :slight_smile:

2 Likes