Floating shelf advice

I’m planning to put up floating shelves be grateful for advice.

1. Any reason not to use plywood?
  2. I take it i have to augur drill holes on pillar drill for the metal rod that attaches to the wall bracket…as it’s deep best use low torque? Or high?
  3. Not strictly floating shelf but any ideas how this support was achieved? Standard floating shelf rod/bracket? …and hole for the vertical rod is just drilled on pillar drill? How to get a crisp edges?

Ply should be fine, it won’t delaminate from resting on something. Might want to make it a decent thickness though so it doesn’t flex in the middle, but this will make it heavy. If you want something really strong and lightweight (less load on the wall), make a torsion box using thin mdf or ply.

Weight and depth can be an issue. I’ve found ikea floating shelves to always sag a bit despite the metal structure. If you want deeper shelves you’re better off having two of them and linking them together somehow to spread the weight over the wall. Like a box or a zig zag for example.

To get that round edge in the lower peg you could make a hole in something bigger then bring it down to its final radius afterwards.

1 Like

i like these, they can be adjusted upwards to alow for the weight of the shelves and what is on them.

main bar is 12m so material needs to be at least 20mm thick

http://www.sdslondon.co.uk/floating-shelf-brackets/concealed-floating-shelf-bracket-length-112-mm-diameter-12-mm.html

1 Like