Fizzy wine bazooka - any help appreciated!

Being wildly immature, I’m making a thing out of sheet metal that fits onto a fizzy wine bottle and has a rudimentary sight and trigger to let people open bottles easily (and shoot stuff)

I’ve had two copies of my design cut (pic below) from 2mm stainless steel, now I could use a hand bending one accurately and cutting the other in half and riveting a hinge to it.
I’m not inducted on the drill press or bandsaw and whenever I try and hand-cut stainless steel my cuts tend to wander.
Anyone familiar with metalwork fancy giving me a hand please? I’ll repay you with the fizz I’ll have to open to check it works!

BPs%20in%20development

And an earlier prototype fitted to a bottle:

Rough%20BP%20proto

4 Likes

I’m not sure I fully understand what you need a hand with, just bending at circa 90°?

Why do you need hinges and riviting?

Perhaps I’m oversimplifying in my thinking. Regardless, if I’m about I’m happy to lend a hand.

P.s. how did the prototype work? The one doubt I have… the corks are tapered, wouldn’t the bottom end get caught and take the metal contraption with it on it’s travels?

Its cutting one of the pair in half and drilling holes accurately enough to rivet a hinge in that I might need a hand with. I’m looking to achieve 270 degrees of motion in the hinge, which requires positioning everything very precisely.

When I put the 90 degree bend in the prototype I infuriatingly didn’t line it up quite square. Another pair of eyes being run over the second of the pair to check its square before I bend it also couldn’t hurt.

The prototype works pretty well so far. The prongs are very slightly wider than the neck of the bottle and the cork leaves at such a rate of knots that the bottom of it doesn’t have time to expand and catch the prongs on the way out.

Are you going to be in the space much this week? I’ll pop in when you’re around and we can give it a go.

Thanks also for helping me out the other week running my wooden discs through the mini thicknesser. I’m working on getting you a couple of thicker discs for your wood turning

1 Like

I’ll probably be about most reasonable hours of the afternoon and evening.