First stab at screenprinting

This will no doubt be a bit amateurish to most of the screenprinters here, but wanted to record my first attempts at screenprinted posters.

I spent some time last week knocking up a quick screen frame and fitting some fabric to it.

Inspired by the screenprints of the 70s and 80s feminist campaigns, my girlfriend and I decided to have a stab at this text:

Unfortunately, we ended up washing one screen out completely (I was warned that the emulsion was a bit aged), and our second didn’t really have time to cure, so we lost much of the text. However, we did end up with a screen which read “And become lesbians”.
So naturally we printed like thirty of them.

Uploading…
We had a great afternoon playing with the different inks and binders, and getting a feel for the technique.

Next steps: reprinting using the same screen to create a shadow effect, then washing out this screen and trying again for the whole text.

6 Likes

@iNerdier the cable with all the clips worked great for drying printed sheets as you can see - temporarily fitted with clamps but if screen techs like it we can look at a semi-permanent arrangement.

@charlottecou I think the pot of emulsion we used for the second screen may have been yours? If so thanks - I’m going to get a pot myself so feel free to help yourself to some in return!

1 Like

Bravo! You’ll have to show me how you did it next time I’m there.

Great work!

Didn’t upload in my first post for some reason!

1 Like

No problem! I hope you had fun :slight_smile: