First look at our new drum sander

Have had a look at it yesterday and the good news is that it’s a reasonably modern machine and mechanically looks in good shape.

It was very cheap about the half the price of anything else on the market. And I suspect that might be because the control panel is is the smoking remains of a of somebody that didn’t quite know what they were doing.

But nothing we can’t fix.

The overrun on the machine is shocking I suspect it had a break when it was manufactured and and the star delta starter looks as it has been bypassed or doesn’t work properly.

It’s going to need a bit of TLC but nothing we can’t deal with and we have most of the parts required in my scrap bins

Anybody interested in helping is more than welcome to join in a bit of electronics or electrical knowledge would be useful but the Makers space is all about learning

14 Likes

Sounds brilliant, makerspace at it’s best!

1 Like

Would love to assist but I suspect that I would be more of a hindrance than anything else, and about as much help as a chocolate teapot !!

Good luck - look forward to hearing about your progress.

2 Likes

Always welcome to come along and learn

2 Likes

Way beyond my brain cell capacity - I’ll stick to creating I think !

It wouldn’t be a learning curve, just a vertical line…I’ll not say never though, certainly a loooong way down the road !

Looking forward to being able to use it in the future though when I am able to become a member, already coming up with projects to use it on.

1 Like

I mean, I’m here, but if you end up doing everything with a 555 I can totally pick up another project :wink:

I’m not helpful, but have been happily following along! I’ll be there next Tuesday and happy to follow instructions

1 Like

Waiting for bits at the moment. Will let you know when I am getting going again.

2 Likes

Hey @woodtechs

Where are we at with the drum Sander , when I talked to Joe last month he said it was almost there, I
I’ve got some time off the do some projects in a couple of weeks and really need it running. What can I do the expiedate getting it operational?

1 Like

Yes would be good to get this going, who else was working on it?

Joe was temporarily suspended for a couple of weeks because he moved some blue tiles, but hopefully be back next week.

I’m only really aware of Joe working on it

Gotcha, I am still not clear on what is wrong with it…

I believe Joe has said that the electronics have been rebuilt. My understanding (and I may not be 100% correct here) is that we need to work out how to reattached the belt, attach the sandpaper to the drum, and then sort out extraction.

From this point I’ll have to write a risk assessment ect. And I believe we should be good to go, again I’m not 100% certain but this was my understanding from my last conversation with Joe

2 Likes

@joeatkin2 should be having access again now, @directors

Heyo, will you be in today? I’m happy to lend a hand later.

Is there anything we can do to Progress the drum sander, as soon as it’s running, I’m happy to do risk assessments, inductions, ect.

1 Like

Working on it today hopefully soon

2 Likes

Cool, is there is anything that can be delegated? Also, we have all the parts we need? Thanks!

1 Like

Yes mat is taking the lead on this one

3 Likes