Discourse dropdown menus

Has anyone else had issues with the two dropdown menus in discourse staying down?

the door movements one and the topics one in the last week have been staying down both at home on my mac using firefox and on safari on my phone.
no matter where i click they stay down. the only way to remove them is to refresh the browser.

just wondered if anyone @systems has changed anything in the last week to cause this?

on a similar note. I can’t remember who suggested this yesterday but I agree.

they said ''it would be a good idea to have the door /shutter activity in the opposite order so the latest activity is the first one showing"

Tom and I are hoping to replace the current discourse activity log with something simpler (it’s currently using a chat plugin, which is far more power than we need)

However, I haven’t experienced a stuck menu myself, but I’m only using Chrome.

There’s a good chance the problem will go away the next time there’s an update…

@naxxfish You any good a Ruby? Indeed is anyone? It’s a relatively small project we need help with.

Ah, Ruby. Not something I routinely use, but I could probably muddle my way through…

1 Like

Basically the aim is to replace the existing access log in Discourse with an iframe from the membership system with an API key.

It’s relatively simple, but I’ve not yet found the time to start learning Docker, Discourse and Ruby from scratch.

Something can probably be bodged in with js, an arbitrary amount of which can be included in every page without having to write an actual plugin. For example, the calendar button is done with:

<script type="text/discourse-plugin" version="0.4">
api.decorateWidget('header-icons:before', helper => {
    return helper.h('li.header-dropdown-toggle', [
        helper.h('a.icon', {
            href:'/t/calendar-all-events/96/',
            title: 'Calendar'
        }, helper.h('i.fa.fa-calendar')),
    ]);
});
</script>

The weirdness is due to:

OK - fortunately I need some practice with Docker for work reasons, so sounds like a good excuse!

Also, I too have just had the stuck down problem too - and in fact it prevents me from typing in the reply box until you refresh the page. Using Chrome 51.xxx?

Turns out, moving that code into a plugin is quite easy.

The tricky bit is working out how to make it display a list of events. Either we can try making it show an iframe (probably easy to do, but it probably won’t look pretty), or we can do something a little bit cleverer that talks to membership, and do it in a way that doesn’t make any API keys publicly viewable.

I figured an iframe because it is scrollable, and avoids the need to send CSS over as I am using bootstrap. I’ll start on a API.

@systems any word about moving on with updating the membership system, can I get access to the server again?