Delta 3D printer kit suggestions? For ceramic printing!

I think I’d like to play around with 3D printing ceramics. It seems like a delta-style printer would work well for this, with the steppers and electeonics mounted up the top away from any moisture. Plus I’ve never played with a delta printer and they look fun

Is there a recommended low cost kit that I can buy from eBay or AliExpress? I want to spend my time with the clay extrider, not working out which control boards work with which steppers…

2 Likes

cant help sorry

but saw this a few weeks ago and was intrigued

Geeetech seem to be relatively good?

@gordonendersby built one of their delta kits a while back, and they might have improved since then

Ceramic 3d printing has been my ‘next project’ for about three years now… there’s some good online resources… including the guy who had a residency at Institute of Making a couple of years ago…I can dig around and find stuff I bookmarked…

1 Like

Yes please!

The Geeetech delta was a pile of poo.

Before I’d even finished building it I had to replace parts.
Once built I had to improve bearings and the extruder just to get it configured and tuned.

Theres very little of the original kit left. Mostly just the frame but if i can be bothered I either need to replace that or find a way of stiffening it and also replace the carriages and bearings that run on the steel rods.
I would never recommend a delta printer.

Laurent Muchacho is the expert on delta’s.
He’s built a fair few.

Gordon

1 Like

@laurent_muchacho

I’m interested in this in general (although, I can’t see me making one any time soon). What does the extruder look like?

Depends how you extrude it from what I understand. There are devices with an external reservoir pressurised by a compressor and extruded through a nozzle with a screw thread behind to regulate it, devices that pass a belt across the top of a syringe and pull on it with a stepper motor, some just have a reservoir of clay that’s pushed out with a compressor.

My advice for a delta is simple buy one of mine :slight_smile: they are mini kossel (not the xl or the 20x20) build with 15x15 extrusion details below. With a bit of tweaking you could get it to do clay, with a bit of looking around I got the part for a XL as well.

But to be honest look at that build it will be dead easy and most likely cheaper,
Clay delta most detailed build is from that guy. you can find all the details on that page.

For what you want to do a few mod on a base Rostoch design will work well to do clay the design from Jonathan above is based on this.

Finally whatever you go for the bible in terms of delta calibration is from that blog

Make sure you read it and understand it and you’ll be smooth printing in no time.

I hope this help a bit. Good luck

2 Likes

That’s the one Jonathan Keep!

2 Likes

Something wonderful about solving the flow/diameter/height challenges through mechanical engineering

1 Like

Not sure if it exists as a product yet…

1 Like

I’ve just been looking at that.

Seems remarkably cheap. I’ll certainly be keeping an eye on the campaign.

They are doing a slightly weird thing where you can pay $10 now to lock in a cheaper price on Kickstarter later. Pre-pre-funding…?

1 Like

Very tempted to give it a punt. Not so keen on the delta design though, if they would sell me the extruder kit for 99 bucks I would…

It looks very much like a push pull system reminds me of the Lynx from Cessna aka Cessna Skymaster

Piston in the push and I am guessing screw in the pull

I wonder what are they using/doing for the CAM side of the process (is there anything special there)

I think the advantage of the delta is that you can position the electronic bits above the extruder and avoid getting them wet. Plus the cylindrical build volume lends itself to vases, etc.

Well, I’ve made a start. Bought some bits, anyway, and made some design decisions largely based around info garnered from this Google+ group

https://plus.google.com/communities/109375785524125994679

I’ve bought a delta kit (which I’m impressed by so far)

Anycubic 3D printer Kossel print Plus Size Gadget Auto-Level Module Platform 3d printer Kits DIY impresora 3d drucker
https://s.click.aliexpress.com/e/crbuueq5

I’m going for a screw extruder based on the open source StoneFlower design

This will be fed by a screw driven extruder to my own design using laser cut and 3D printed parts.

2 Likes

looks awesome. Really looking forward to seeing how you get on! I was thinking something along the lines of a modified syringe driver as an extruder - but rapidly realised that laserising something from scratch would be more affordable / accurate.