Coffee table

Here is a coffee table concept I put together last week.

The back door to the house rotted away, so the landlord replaced it and left the original glass panels in the garden so I thought it would be a challenge to make use of them.
The mitred frame is made from some pine I had left over and the legs are cut from reclaimed futon left on our street.

In order to get the groove for the glass I used a Stanley combination plane 12-250 which I bought on eBay for £20.The plane looks like some orthopaedic instrument but can cut really fine grooves to a fixed depth.

Mitre corners were cut from the long grooved pieces and glued with mitre clamps around the glass.

As the groove is very snug, the glass fits firmly with just friction so the table can be disassembled with ease.
(probably not a good table to have with kids around!)

10 Likes

This is great @Twm !

1 Like

That’s a really cool design, but I’m getting heart palpitations just looking at that centre span!

Is it toughened glass do you know?

3 Likes

Yeah that’s why I call it a concept as I don’t know how safe the glass is. Itt seems strong:I test loaded the centre with a few bricks but I have no idea of the properties.

With thicker, toughened glass you’d be onto a winner I think. You can do pretty audacious spans with glass if you use the right stuff :slight_smile:

1 Like

Cool thanks. I might have to look into toughened glass as I’m liking the design.

Very nice! Have you considered putting cross members low down in the leg? Might add a little frame strength without compromising the look too much.

Good idea. That was my original plan but I wanted to see how minimal I could make the frame first.

Looks good

Very nice - thanks for sharing.

Hi Twm, how did you fix the legs to the mitered frame?

ps great looking table :slight_smile:

I created a little recess and glued it. I would probably use dowels and glue in final piece.
Thanks !

Toughened glass is quite easy - you just go into a glass place with your measurements and order it. My people in Hertfordshire actually then order it from somewhere in London.

Not exactly cheap. I think the last table top i did was 500mm x 500mm and came in at £105.

If you can find something similar with a glass top that might work. I’ve used the glass bits off lazy susan serving things as table tops. Also IKEA do some - if you can find a piece pre-made and cut your wood to fit it will work out cheaper!

1 Like

Looks awesome, combination plane looks like it works a treat too!

1 Like

Beautiful work! If the glass was originally in an external door then it must be pretty strong and thick?

1 Like

thanks for all the feedback! It has given me something to think about.