Cnc group project

@StudioNelle what are you trying to do to us???

Trust me I’m just putting it out there, by no means am I saying buy it. Unless the members want it and there is space for a screen-print area, laser cutter, metal lathe and CNC plasma

@frasco please explain why this is a terrible terrible idea

1 Like

I’ll give it a go:

1. No software. Means an indefinite modification project to make it run on mach3
  2. No manual operation. In some ways, this makes it a less flexible tool due to the steeper learning curve
  3. IMO one should learn the manual way before attempting automtation, so you have better intuition about what can and can’t be done, and how to or not to do it.
  4. The advert is 7 days old; I bet it’s gone already.
1 Like

You’ve got to think why a £15k m/c which is only 10 years old and little used is going for £1.2k.

No software and a little gentle googling suggests that converting to MACH 3 would require hardware changes and then you have to pay for a MACH license!

And lots of time!

Apparantly it can be run manually, but I suspect only if you have the Boxford software.

A nice m/c but probably not for us, and I agree with Tom. You’ll learn a lot more about machining using a manual machine.

1 Like

We had one when I was teaching and we used it a lot.

Turning up fittings to attach wheels to the end of axles, making hinges, loads of stuff. The only thing we used more was the laser cutter.

But this might not be the right one.

About the lathe I say let’s buy a standard model with a good selection of standard tools and start using it…
For a cnc I don’t know enough to have a say…

1 Like