Changing home position on the laser cutter

@lasertechs
@lasers

Does anyone know how to change the home position on the laser cutter? I’m engraving the inside of a lid, and don’t want it to go to the home position at the end of the job, and then crash into the side of the lid and damage the lasercutter.

I’m fairly sure that isn’t possible.

1 Like

Someone on a forum says you can in the driver settings but helpfully the picture he’s posted is no longer available.

Z-offset might be useful for this, but I don’t know offhand in what order it moves the Z-axis.

You’d set the focus at the top edge and measure the distance to the bottom face. Then set the Z-offset in material settings to that value. What you want is for the head to move over, the bed move up, the cut to happen and then the bed to drop back down again.

Experiment with an empty bed and set the cutting behaviour to movement only (I forget what terminolgy Jobcontrol uses. Basically, not Engrave, Cut or Skip. The other one :slight_smile: )

If it moves the bed and then moves the head, you’re out of luck with this method :-/

2 Likes

Helpful replies, thanks guys.
There’s discussion of getting a longer focus lens, now that we can print the housings, so I’ll just hold off on trying this. It’s a shame - the test piece engraved beautifully.