Carbon fiber on CNC machine

Tags: #<Tag:0x00007fa497d77498> #<Tag:0x00007fa497d77358> #<Tag:0x00007fa497d77218>

Having worked with water based coolants on machine tools, I can’t imagine how it would be possible to contain any liquids in the mini CNC! Think spray, splash-back, etc., etc., Surely, that little machine is no way resistant to liquids. I’d give it 15 minutes max, before it craps out. It’s electrically driven close to the machining area. Whereas machine tools that accept coolants are mechanically driven at the ‘business end’. Not a scientific assessment, more anecdotal opinion. #CouldBeWrong

1 Like

Cool thanks,

When you look at the video I’ve put on a post way up a submerged system didn’t seem to splash all around for use with CF.

But anyway, won’t go against the tide, can close the debate, thanks for the various points of views. :slight_smile:

1 Like

OK, apologies, I had not seen the video (my bad). Interesting. The process does look very do-able, particularly machining small features with a tiny cutter like the one in that demo.

Having now referred to several safety sheets re CF, it appears that particles in water suspension is considered safe to drink!!! Who knew? I’m not seeking to trivialise the safety element here, only echoing the research.

Personally, I’d love to give it a go, but then I’m comfortable with risk and would describe myself as not being fear led… :rofl:

Also, another positive thought:- I heard a rumour that the space is due to get a large manual milling machine in the future? If this is the case it will have drainage for coolant, so setting something like this up would pose less of risk to the equipment???

Hadn’t heard about the supposed safety of drinking suspended CF. Knowing some of the practices in the bike industry re: CF, where unscrupulous but sanctimonious companies use workers as components to be used and replaced, I’d strongly support an overly cautious approach.

1 Like

Yeah… I think that clean water is good enough to drink, won’t be adding any CF into my smoothie anytime soon but keep me posted how yours taste :joy:

1 Like

They do say we should all have more fibre in our diet though, no? :wink:

1 Like