Call for Urgent laser projects

Please can you provide a discription of what your project needs eg, quantity of cutting/engraving, materials etc.

Hello,

Thanks so much for the quick reply.

6 or 7 hexagonal pieces cut - about 50cm across. With children’s drawings etched in. So this picture is an example of one I’ve already done (just the top piece of ply, the box underneath is finished)

4mm ply - I have the ply already and would want to pick which pieces I am using. I could meet you and bring, or leave for you.

I can have illustrator files prepared tomorrow.

If required can you be at the space tomorrow morning around 9:30 with files and ply ready?

Absolutely

Just preparing the files - Is it possible to etch Raster images on this cutter please? Or do I need to convert the graphics to vector? Would prefer to use raster if possible for more texture from grayscales.
Thanks so much for all your help. I’ll standby re possibility of meeting tomorrow morning.

Takes raster images

It will use raster images for engraving, are you referring to black and white photos or something else?

Hi, hopefully I’m not too late to get involved with the testing. I’m the guy with the ‘wedding bits’. I’m afraid I may need some guidance on editing my inkscape file first but I’m cutting 4mm ply and 3mm acrylic.

I can do Saturday 9-11 or 3-6, and any time on Sunday

Black and white photo. I’ll prepare with them then

Thanks!

Unfortunately no metal is to be used on the laser cutter, have you done this in the past?

This should have been outlined in your induction.

Do you have the materials and some form of vector file? What quantities are we considering? Is it 100 guest names or just the twister game? :blush:

Yes I paid for the materials a couple of weeks ago and taped them up at the top of the materials shelf with my @alec tag. Just the Twister spinner - 3 layers plus an acrylic spinner dial. I uploaded the draft inkscape file in the other chat. Want me to upload it here?

Hi Nico thanks.

I’ve done it before but on a Trotec machine (CO2) elsewhere. I’d forgotten that it was on the banned list at the space. I’d like to try but am happy to leave it. Is it a filtration issue?

Best

Get Outlook for Android

Just checking in before it gets too late. Would you like me to be there for 9:30 tomorrow morning?
Thanks
Gawain

Sorry, I can only confirm later but for now let’s say yes and then check discourse in the morning for any changes. If you don’t hear from me again, I will see you there.

Ok - thanks. Understood! I’ll await further instructions or else see you there tomorrow.

Not overriding the laser techs here but this is a lost in translation type issue, the reason it is on that list isn’t because it is banned but because you cannot cut metal on our laser, i.e. it isn’t powerful enough, or the right type of laser.

What you can do is use laser mark on the surface and then laser engrave a design on the metal’s surface.

So while it isn’t banned the list says no, the techs should review this as this isn’t correct.

1 Like

Thanks Tom. To confirm, I wish only to engrave which I know is possible with a CO2 machine. I will go with the Makerspace policy on this of course but if it’s banned for reasons which are mistaken or it’s not banned and the list is wrong then it wd be good to have laser techs clarify. I did say “engrave” I my original post so it could be that it’s banned for reasons which are not mistaken! Wd love to know…

Get Outlook for Android

This is the problem with documentation… it’s not very dynamic

Always best to just ask and make a case for any materials you want to work with. If you can find evidence for it then present it!

So…over to you and @lasertechs

Anodised aluminium engraves beautifully with a CO2 laser.

I’ve never tried the laser marking fluids, mostly because even a small bottle is really expensive, bit you only need a little bit.

Perhaps this is a good candidate for an SLMS purchase - let’s spread the cost amongst all the people that might use it?