Call for members with metal experience

Hi all,

Unfortunately Frank has stepped down as a metaltech so currently it is just me at the moment.

If you have experience working with metal and would be willing to share your knowledge with other members by giving inductions etc please PM me with your experience.

As we don’t currently have welding ability it would be ideally suited for someone with milling and turning experience.

Thanks!

Nico

4 Likes

All up for new metal techs.
This should be encouraged as much as possible.
A great idea.

I’ld like to encourage @frasco to come back too.
Whatever we can do to help that is all good.

I might be able to help. What does it involve?

1 Like

Giving this a bump.

Being a Metaltech means you are a member with a special interest in and responsibility over metalwork related activities in the Space. Along with your fellow @metaltechs you will be the members who champion and further the nascent metalwork activities in the space for the benefit of the wider membership. You’ll have an overview of H&S, a monthly consumables budget to manage, plus will organise inductions as necessary, and possibly group workshops and other activities — who knows ?

We encourage the @roles teams to be non-hierarchical, with members taking lead over different aspects as appropriate. We usually suggest that a tech role might require a minimum commitment of two hours a week, though it could be a lot more, especially if commissioning a new piece of equipment.

You are not responsible for clearing up after other members…though that does happen.

Hi Nico - as I have now found the recent and relevant thread, I’ll wave my flag here too!

Background: Farm childhood: welding, angle grinding, chisel sharpening etc. - but self taught and probably not all to BTEC standards :slight_smile:
Secondary School: 1 year copper work, 1 year in the blacksmith forge.
Later: Bicycle tech and teaching bicycle maintenance.
No experience with lathes, mills etc. But eager to learn.

Often travelling for work but 8hrs per month is doable- just can’t promise to be there same day every week, at least during current contract.

Get in touch and we set up a time to meet?
Secretly hoping to sneak into the Woodworkshop induction on the 15th, so before or after that perhaps, for a coffee?

2 Likes