Building a Cajon (ca-hon)

Tags: #<Tag:0x00007fa498097970> #<Tag:0x00007fa4980977b8>

I made two cajons when I joned slms. One was big enugh to sit on and a handheld one. The big one is still at my storage as it got a bit damp when i left it outside (for moths by accident) and the small one is cute, but extremely impractical. I used plywood for the big one with 9mm thick walls and front and back if I remember correctly was a 2mm laseply, the bass hole I lasercut in shappes of a water ripple which i also engraved on the rest. I got a snare that i never fitted.

The small one was from a 3mm plywood and a veneer stretched over the front.

Would be nice seeing what you make, mine was more of a woodworking learning project that ended up good enough, but i am sure the tappa could be done more precisely.

3 Likes

I decided I will refurbish the big cahon, thanks for inspiring me to getting it from storage @msparker

1 Like

Ah the other sharpening station - the one with the sink not the one with the tormek

Please forgive me for not recognizing that. Soz!

Np, forgot we have two now!

1 Like

It’ll go back after the scheduled woodturning inductions are over…

This looks great! Love the laser cut sound hole, that’s so unique! Where did you get the idea?

I’m largely doing it as a learning project too but with the main thing being the joinery side. I’m hoping what I learn here I can apply to things like bedside tables in the future. I’ve also never veneered anything so that could be cool. I saw a video yesterday about laser cut marquetry which was thought provoking! I do also wonder about using veneers to make up ply from scratch as I hear the tapa wood can make quite a difference but perhaps that’s better as something to retrofit down the line. Veneering onto a birch ply substrate sounds a lot easier.

Yes!!! I hear a drum circle coming :stuck_out_tongue:

1 Like

I am a creative person actually.

Makes me think I should make more, try to sell them. Will try making another one, but better.

1 Like

those look great! very creative!

1 Like

I finished this a couple of weeks ago but have been too lazy to post! Here are some photos of it in progress and finished. A big thank you to lots of people who helped along the way, especially @Ryanf who helped me with tool inductions, glue ups and lots of advice!

In the end, not much changed from my plans. I went with mitred through dovetails on the top and half blinds on the bottom, used guitar strings for the snare and tried out some veneering for the tapa(s).

I made two different tapas (the front bit), one is a four way bookmatched poplar burl (mappa) veneer, the other is a rippled mahogany. Neither are perfect, it turns out veneering is hard, so a third may happen one day but for now I’m largely happy with it. I think all the joints came out great and I’m very happy with the Kiaat wood I used which got lots of interest at the makerspace.

7 Likes

Looks really good, what finish did you end up applying?

But is it a Cahon if we don’t hear it being played, or is it just a table? :slight_smile:

1 Like

Haha, maybe after some practice :smile: I think it sounds pretty decent but I don’t have a good reference point. I’d like to have a go on a commercial one and see. The snare for instance was just a guess of how to do it well and could probably be tweaked.

I went with Osmo as I had it and knew I could get a decent finish with it. I would like to try some other finishes though

Looks really great! Did you cut the joints with a hand saw?

Yep, the joinery was done by hand :slight_smile: I tried out the dovetail guide and it was excellent!

3 Likes

That’s so pretty :heart_eyes_cat:

Hi Matt,

We are starting to look at our content inclusion for the Dulwich festival Maker fair we have a “Don’t be Shy! submit your Make” event happening on Friday. Would this be of any interest to you maybe and/or do you know anyone else I can reach out too?

Cheers
Dorine

Love this!! Would be great to see it in action. And it’s true… I lik emaking things and I like percussion… maybe I should make one of these!

Thanks for asking, I’m taking that as a big complement. I’m touch and go as to whether I can come friday, but would be happy to share this and perhaps the chair I made a few months back

2 Likes

I love both of them :slight_smile: apologies its such short notice but I dint have a lot of notice myself :smiley: