Booking system

The new booking system seems to be off to a great start but it’s polluting my interface with red dots and I am sure everyone else will be experiencing the same thing.

Is there a way to surpress these notices from latest posts and the red dot, I’ve muted the categories and they’re still coming up.

Red dots around your avatar? I’m not getting that. I’m on Chrome on both Android, and Windows 10

@tomnewsom?

It is suppressed from Latest and Categories. Didn’t you turn “alert me to everything!” on one time?

I am not sure, I mean red dots on the home page:

But obviously not for this post but the booking posts.

there is a cream for that

8 Likes

I don’t think it’s related to the booking systems the “red dots” tooltips indicate that it’s a New topic giving a visual cue to which of the latest topic are new and other are just latest because someone replied to the thread (no red dots)

So from what I workout once you visit the new topic the red dot disappear

Yes, but given this is a forum, while it’s nice to have the booking system, listing and red dotting every single time someone creates a booking is annoying.

How many times are we going to see a post saying Lathe, Lathe Booking etc…

Discourse doesn’t even allow duplicate titles, so it’ be like Lathe Booking 120 etc…

The idea is great but we need to iron these issues out.

1 Like

Sorry, your enquiries was originally related the red dots

I was simply explaining that what you’ve reported as polluting the UI is not related to the booking systems, it is part of the User interface artifact used to visually notify the users that the topic within the latest column is a new topic

I apologise to interpret but based on what you are describing from your personal
preference: you would like to have the ability to filter out topic created within the booking category to not visually notify the user they are new topic.

So to do that as it seems you don’t want to be notified when booking are made just go in the (Profile > Preference > Notification > Categories) and mute the booking category and no more red dots or notification for bookings

Edit : However I’m not 100% sure this preferences apply to the latest thread from the homepage

You are not really getting my point…

The issue is that not only are there all these red dots, but even if you can mute them which I have done.

You still get the latest posts polluted with irrelevant booking posts that are going to be in increasing number and given that Discourse doesn’t allow duplicate post titles, with increasingly more random titles as people have to choose a new heading for each and every booking.

My point is that if it is not possible to surpress these notifications and headings from the list, we should look for a longer term solution if the booking system is deemed a success, and that we should in the mean time perhaps dictate a standard format for the headings so it’s clearly a booking from the list, something like:

BOOKING: dd/mm/yy HH:mm (24hr)

This way it’s clearly a Booking rather than about booking or about the Lathe or what ever and it’s basically impossible for someone to have a duplicate post title because it has a date-time stamp in it and bookings shouldn’t be possible at the same time.

EDIT

I mean seriously, look at the list of headings already just from a couple weeks use…

https://discourse.southlondonmakerspace.org/c/booking/woodlathe/l/agenda

1 Like

The bookings don’t appear in Latest or Categories by default, and duplicate titles are allowed now.

If you’re seeing them in Latest, you must have some option toggled

1 Like

A standard format for the bookings post titles seems sensible?

They pop up in ‘suggested Topics’ when reading on an android phone. Which is annoying.

1 Like