Book recommendations

Fiction or non-fiction, what have you read lately that you’d recommend to your fellow makers?

I’d like to start with The Information, a history, a theory, a flood by James Gleick.

It’s basically a history of information theory and early computing/communications. The third section, which is about the internet is a bit wooly, but the first two parts are red hot. Totally accessible to a lay person, but not dumbed down, it’s full of “huh, I never knew that” and “wow, I’d never have realised that” moments.

2 Likes

My latest Amazon purchase:

Interesting read so far - tea obsoleted wine home making in the British Isles (and probably everywhere else). Got the book after witnessing an argument on the meaning of the word wine and a copy being produced to prove wine is not only made of grapes.
Also planning on getting the kit together in time for summer experiments.

1 Like

Tom, followed your link to good reads and based upon your choice, the book I find which is hugely and widely apart from yours but joins in communicating is by Francis Bacon. Ok it’s very very tangential!

I saw Book Recommendations and got very excited. This was the first book I found, linen bound in a 2nd hand bookshop that questioned me. Big think. Stretch.

Books and Films are my love of life. I only keep books that I will read more than twice. I think and write about the ideas within. Same with films I love.

It’d be good to start a ‘Read a Book. Leave a Book’. This happens the world over, on buses, at bus stops …

Came across this book recommended by a friend (this is the condensed illustrated version).

Apparently Frederic Laloux the author has found organisations around the world that are able to operate very efficiently without having a traditional vertical hierarchy. Might have some tips on how we could organise things at makerspace?

1 Like