Bluetooth Radio - TPA3116 Bluetooth 2*50W

ive been making a blue tooth speaker in an old radio.
sure some have you have seen it.
well its pretty much finished now.

only problem is when i turn it on, it makes a really really loud on signal.
you cant change the volume before you connect to the bluetooth.
it makes a really loud noise when the blue tooth connects. then you can turn it down once youre connected. its really annoying.

no documentation came with it.
i cant find any online.
i joined http://electronics.stackexchange.com/ but they told me this wasnt something that should be on their forum. ive only used coding stackexchange before, so it was my first time on the electronics one. the guy wasnt very helpful and said it wasnt realted to their forum. having never used it before i was unsure if he was correct or just being a troll…

…any way, any one know a good electorics forum or have any experience with programming these boards?

i want to be able to:

1. turn the start up volumn down
  2. change the bluetooth device name
  3. its got setero output. is there a simple way to change it to mono on one spearker using settings / software on the board?

board details:

Might have to compare notes one day when I get round to upgrading my rave suitcase.

1 Like

shut the front door!!!

:laughing::laughing::laughing::laughing::laughing:

If you like that, you’ll love this

Yes, I did get to hook them all up at once :smiley:

1 Like

Tom, are those yours???
or are you kidding???

:slight_smile:

Those are(were) mine. All sold to happy customers :slight_smile:
(apart from model no.1 in my original post. That has better drivers in it, but needs some TLC)

thats incredible!!!

1 Like

Thank you :slight_smile:

Ah, the days when I had time to build things…

what are the inputs to the board, or. What have you got to play with? I see some buttons?

Inputs?

It’s blue tooth. No other inputs.
2x50w output (speakers)

The buttons are volume up and down (they don’t effect the “start up” volume unfortunately), track back and forward and play.

The on tone and blue tooth connected tone come when you turn the radio on. You can’t change the volume before this board is connected. It’s a bit wierd. Ideally want to know how to change the volume that the board starts with I’m guessing via some internal setting on the board. No documentation.

Sounds like a thorough Google search is needed for this particular item…and then you might need to start hacking it…which could be a whole world of fun.

My line of thought was you’d not be able to hack ‘inside’ that unit you bought, so your hack needs to be outside… i.e. what ins and outs does the board have. Could you hook up an Arduino to just hammer the volume down button on power on, and then bring it back up when the input is selected? Could you isolate the speaker until the input is selected? That kind of stuff.

For what it’s worth, layering your own interface onto a ‘black box’ bit of electronics was what my video mixer business was founded on. It effectively pressed the buttons behind the scenes, while presenting a sane experience to the user.

I assumed its only inputs were Bluetooth and power?

Opening the case would likely reveal more, as it presumably had to be flashed when it was made?

It’s just guesses!

Those buttons are inputs. Like, inputs to the system. Not just how-can-i-feed-it-audio.

Anyhoo. Looking at the board again and thinking that the volume buttons don’t work until the bluetooth connected chime happens, I suspect the sanest option here is to either keep on buying alternative bluetooth-amp boards until one meets your spec, or accept that this is a Raspberry-Pi-esque project to do the bluetooth with whatever controls you want, with a separate amp.

1 Like

Oops, I thought it was something else entirely. Should’ve clicked the link!

is there some kind of component I can add to my set up, between the troublesome board and the speaker to drop the volume.

It had something like that on it before. Don’t know the name. But a metal thing attached to the speaker. But it was too quiet. I took it off. Now it’s too loud.

Worse case senario I’m just going to re fit the thing that made it quiter.

Added the resister back. I think it’s a resister.
Now my knobs have broken.

What’s the best thing to glue these back together??

I would say 2 part epoxy or superglue. Have you tried something already?

I always use this chart if not sure:

https://books.google.co.uk/books?id=TgVSaksNhrkC&pg=PA69&lpg=PA69&dq=glue+chart+eric+hart&source=bl&ots=1K6lSBLI2j&sig=H2TZRmwxcB-o8N0HaD-N7PkGIx0&hl=en&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwiy-K7P_LfOAhXICMAKHYXeC3UQ6AEIFjAD#v=onepage&q=glue%20chart%20eric%20hart&f=false

Or try

http://www.thistothat.com/

Or

1 Like

CA or Super Glue won’t work, it’s too brittle. It states on the Make think Construction adhesive, CA Glue or 2 part epoxy, and frankly only epoxy is likely to last.

Yeah cool try 2 part epoxy