Bins & Rubbish

I’ll investigate when I’m in on Sunday.

I’m sure I remember him saying food waste is fine and they compost it all, and it just needs to be in a small bag inside one of the big bags so it doesn’t contaminate everything else. If we did this they could probably recycle a lot more of the stuff that we’re currently putting in the general kitchen bin.

1 Like

I think someone has recently come forward who is happy to take away any wood for his stove. I also know Jose doesn’t like taking it, I don’t know what Quantum’s official line is but he wasn’t happy one time I was there when he came and there was a big pile. I couldn’t really communicate with him to resolve the problem, beyond establishing that he wasn’t happy.

This is confusing, because we specifically switched to quantum because they were happy to take away the wood…

Yes I’m not sure exactly what the problem was. It would be good to get to the bottom of it.

He doesn’t like taking it because it costs more to dispose of. However that’s not a problem for us, as we are willing to pay extra for that.

I don’t mind carrying on as we are if you feel very strongly that we shouldn’t change anything. But I think this is one of those festering unresolved issues that we were chatting about the other day, which is why I’m raising it now.

I think it would be worth arranging for Xavier and Jose to come visit us together, ideally when @unknowndomain and I can be there too, so we can get to the bottom of how it should ideally work and then we can update the bin signs and the discourse page and buy any new bins we need to make it work. Presumably that would help with negotiation of price too, if we’re making the effort to make their lives easier.

But I appreciate that would be a bit of a faff to organise so if you feel very strongly against doing it then I’ll drop the subject again.

1 Like

I think that letting this issue fester and drag on unresolved sends a message that we don’t care about the space and have no pride in it.

I’m struggling to understand exactly what your issue is with the bins.

For me 2 bins in the kitchen seems normal, and the improvement would be to add a separate food waste.

Clearly there’s something else that you’re not happy with. What is it? What do you mean by ‘how they should ideally work’? This seems to assume that we don’t already know this.

From my POV various members have dipped in and out of this and never really taken ownership and I’ve ended up handling it. It’s been a bit messy and of a headache really, so what I don’t want is more headache.

If someone else is prepared to step forward and own it long-term I’d be more than happy.

Personally, I’m not sure what to do with waste in the space. Specifically - when the wheelie bins are full, and the bags are piling up, am I (as a member) supposed to do something - eg. like request a collection?
Suggest @Dermot, as the most knowledgeable on current situation, update the very out of date “how to” doc:

Sorry that this has become a headache!

1 Like

Oh yes, the documentation needs updating for sure

Worth printing, laminating and taping clear instructions onto each bin

1 Like

Opening a can of worms there mate!

Cans go in recycling bin. Worms…hmm we need a wormery. Labelled : )

1 Like

Isn’t this what we have now?

People aren’t sure what rubbish to put where, don’t understand the process, and dont know that bags should ideally be filled up to 10 kilos each to get value for money.

The laminated signs on the bins, and the blurb on discourse needs updating.

Volunteers are ready to do the updating, but want to understand better what should go where before doing so.

I’ve been there when Jose has arrived and made it clear that he wasn’t happy but I couldn’t communicate with him.

You want contact to go via you which is fair enough, but you then say there are no issues to resolve which clearly is not the case.

Also, personal opinion, the recycling bin in the kitchen is ugly and I really don’t like having rubbish on display.

Rubbish in the space is a festering unresolved frustrating issue.

1 Like

I would do this if I could get some sense about what the situation is myself. I tried to ask before but never really got a clear idea. I personally don’t think the situation with Quantum is working and it’s turning out to be more expensive.

I mean, are we keeping our side of the bargain by making it easy for them to sort and recycle stuff? Or are we doing something wrong without realising it, like underfilling the bags or mixing different types of rubbish together?

I don’t necessarily think that’s the case but I would like to know why Jose isn’t happy sometimes and what we should be doing differently.

I’m not trying to create a new headache for you, I’m trying to solve a niggly headache that already exists.

1 Like

Maybe he’s just a grumpy guy? We’re paying them and if they don’t like it they don’t have to take it…