Best free CAD for beginners?

Tags: #<Tag:0x00007fa493f3a0e0> #<Tag:0x00007fa493f39f78> #<Tag:0x00007fa493f39e10> #<Tag:0x00007fa493f39ca8> #<Tag:0x00007fa493f39b68>

This came up in our induction yesterday (thanks @Conrad!), so thought I’d weigh into the holy war :slight_smile: . I used AutoCAD 20 years ago at uni, so consider myself nearly a complete beginner. I’m aiming to remix a couple STLs for 3d printing, and I started playing around with FreeCAD a few weeks ago and think made some progress. After seeing Fusion 360 yesterday, I thought I’d give that a go before getting too invested in anything, expecting the free features to be enough. Unfortunately it took me about 5 minutes before I ran into a feature I wanted not being available, Prismatic method for converting the mesh into a solid.

I see there are some workarounds (essentially doing that step in another tool and then using Fusion 360), but it doesn’t feel great–I’d have been really annoyed if this were days into a project where the arbitrary license restriction showed up. Instead of going back to FreeCAD, I may instead give Blender a go for mesh editing (I saw a tutorial doing exactly what my first step is: taking a headphone hook stl and resizing it to fit my desk), and then decide on a general purpose CAD when the need arises.