Bandsaw Status

Tags: #<Tag:0x00007fa49accc1f8> #<Tag:0x00007fa49accc0b8> #<Tag:0x00007fa49df0ff20>

Hi all,

Do any of the @woodtechs know if the bandsaw has been set up recently? I have some wood to cut on it, but the last time it was tried, it was drifting by a fair amount.

Thanks!
Luke.

All bandsaws druft, the solution to the drift is to rebuild the fence with an adjustable angle to compensate, this is on the to-do list

What are you cutting? The table saw might he able to do it

I need to cut out a guitar body from ~1.75" thick Ash, but also got a guitar neck that I can use the table saw for.

Maybe ‘drift’ wasn’t the correct term. It was giving an angled cut, around 20º from top to bottom when trying to cut around 1.25" thick maple.

Edit: I guess I could try using the jigsaw for the body, but I daresay the end of the blade might drift inwards since it’s a fairly thick piece.

You could make a laser template, then use a router after roughing the shape on the jigsaw. Either find a bit that has a 20° edge or use the angle attachment on the makita and a pair of steady hands.you can use a guide bushing to transfer the shape

Bonus is the shape will be guaranteed perfect and exact without having to eyeball a line

That’s something that I’m looking into actually. I was going to get a bunch of templates CNCd, as I’m not inducted on the laser

Good idea of using the jigsaw to rough out the shape.

Is the router table operational?

I haven’t dealt with it lately, will have a look in the near future
You are better off with the hand router for copying though

When are you planning on coming down to do this ? I can walk you through it if I am about

1 Like

Probably not for a few weeks. Need to finalise and double-check my vector drawings before sending them off to get CNCd. I’ve not used a router before, though, is there an induction in place?

Thanks for your help!

You might want to wait and come down to the cnc router demo before you send stuff off.

Any reason you’re cnc-ing templates and not the actual body itself?

When’s the demo? I’m a bit behind on SLMS news lately. I’m getting templates made so I can replicate the shapes on future builds. I don’t fancy getting the body/bodies done directly as it would take away part of the fun of building the things in the first place. It’s my little compromise between hand built guitars and fully CNCd ones.

See this post

Also hop on the laser induction list. You may well be able to be inducted fairly quickly if you’re available. You can easily make good templates with the laser cutter for very little cost.

Again if you catch me when i’m in and you have your files i will happily run them on the machine for you.

1 Like

I used laser cut router templates here:

1 Like