Assistance with Advanced Woodshop Machinery - Cutting / Machining Service

Given the current situation it’s far harder to get help on projects than it used to be…
Coupled with the one person per room policy inductions become impossible for bigger tools that can’t be bought outside…

And when so many projects require accurate cuts or lots of material removal the lack of access to bigger kit can be a massive hindrance to making progress on a project or a put off prior to even getting going…

Thus…

In the meantime, I thought I’d offer up a few hours of my week to help get things moving…
If you have pieces that you need cutting / dimensioning / thicknessing / rebating / whatever really, you’ll be able to drop of materials one day and a cut list, and hopefully pick up in a few days time and continue with the finishing of your project!

I’ll be assessing space available in the shop next I’m in to get some of the shelves in the Woodshop cleared so we’ve a space to start rotating materials and get more projects going!

So get in touch if you’ve some pieces or projects you need assistance with and we’ll try work something out!

8 Likes

Brilliant idea! Thanks for doing this!

May as well bump this now we’re opening up again…!

2 Likes

Just saw this is an old post. Are you still involved with the maker space?

Hi, sorry I’ve been somewhat swamped elsewhere so haven’t been around much at all, looking to change that soon as am increasingly catching and healing up…
Happy to help sometime soon, might have some time next week.

Okay, I am not sure how I will get the boards to the space. I am dragging my feet.
Have you ever built a outdoor notice board or a garden arch x 3 to straddle a path.

Couple of notice boards and an arch is simple enough, though there are many ways to skin a cat…

I not particularly enthusiastic about either project but I think laminating three layers of segments with an offset between the middle core and the outer layers is one common solution for solid wood arches. Full size template for the middle core assembly, cut the appropriate mitre angles on each segment, then bandsaw slightly oversized, glue the parts and screw it to the template and rout, flush trim the outer layers to the core. That sort of thing. It’s a lot of components though for three arches. Got any better ideas?

That or bend some lengths and laminate that way…!

Yes that would work with a good waterproof glue, resorcinol or epoxy I suppose. I am not certain if epoxy is always water proof. I will google it.
Most probably the faster option once the form is built.