Anyone know about EEG devices?

I’ve seen this on AliExpress

NeuroSky Bluetooth EEG acquisition module TGAM suite mind control game development control
http://s.aliexpress.com/r2I3I3Qr
(from AliExpress Android)

Is this the sort of thing I could hook up to a Raspberry Pi and maybe control some lights or a Scalextric car?

@peter_hellyer ?

The neurosky module is well thought of in general for consumer based applications, but for more scientific stuff, is way too black box and the algorithms are protected, that said, these chips work on a fairly simple serial protocol and deliver basic stats albeit out of a very darkened box. Would be easy to interface with an rpi, and the protocol is dead easy to decode.

A simple opamp circuit paired with a basic micro controller would probably do a similar job and you’d have an easier job understanding what is going on, but for applications where you want something basics like ‘alpha power’ related to concentration or such and such, to modulate a thing and aren’t to bothered how it relates to the actual signal, these are powerful ics.

That sounds like about the right level for me and the project I have in mind. Will be working with a medically-interested year 9 pupil to make something brain-driven - not sure exactly what yet!

Thank you!

I have a brain computer interface that works with Android app to read brain waves. I never got it to work the way I wanted but that could be down to mind control? :stuck_out_tongue:
Anyway, you are welcome to borrow it if you like. This is what it looks like:

That’s a kind offer. Is it the kit that some LHS members put together for emf?

Probably. Though I think there are at least two revisions now, mine being the earlier.

Remember it all should be battery powered or have a isolation barrier in between the person conceded to the mains

1 Like

I’ve found this

Which seems promising - basically adding Bluetooth to a toy EEG

Under the hood this is the exact same chip as the one you linked to in the OP :slight_smile:

Then it looks like better value - headset included!

£20 on eBay.