Any magic ideas?!?

This summer I’m once again running a Phab workshop for adults with varying disabilities, ranging from Downs through to quadraplegic cerebral palsy.

It’ll be held in a school Design and Technology workshop, so I have all the usual tools including a laser cutter and 3D printer.

What I’m looking for is ideas for things to make. The theme this year is ‘Magic’ so anything vaguely related…trick toys, magic electronics, Harry Potter stuff…

Any ideas?

I built one of these a couple of year back, good fun and not too complex

Courty

3 Likes

That’s awesome! Totally useless, but awesome nonetheless.

Boring, I know, but could 3D print a set of cups and balls? Maybe not the balls as they’re usually sponge, but the cups could be printed.

1 Like

Hi @Beth, do you know about pen turning?

The workshop I’ll be using has a mini lathe and a pen turning set. I’m wondering about turning wands with a pen mechanism in. Feasible?

I have a magic box at home that has a secret drawer inside. You pull the drawer out and it is empty. Close it and re-open and there is an item inside. It is done by having one end that slides a few mm one way which catches the hidden drawer inside, meaning it will stay put, showing the audience an empty drawer. When you close it, you slide the end back again, which releases the drawer and shows the hidden item when opened. When are you about? I can bring it down for you to have a look at. I think it’d be a great little project for the laser cutter. Here are a few similar items…

https://www.classicmagic.net/tricks/s300a.php

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/Magical-trick-box-drawer-close-range-pull-thing-out-disappear-empty-one-pcs-per-price/32759968912.html

1 Like

Yeah It’s feasable to do it using a mandrel. Even easier if you have bushes so you can turn it to the diameter you want. When I have done pens I drill and then glue a metal tube inside before putting it on the mandrel and turning the outside. I’m not sure how important this tube is, I would guess it depends on how thin the actual wood is going to be. In the pens I have made it can go down to around a mm.